Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Editing exercise, week ending Apr. 30 2017

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,645 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

First a message from this week's file submitter, TBonz.

I haven't had many opportunities for photography recently, but I was able to get out earlier this month and shoot some Rugby.  I had a difficult time deciding between a few images, but liked the action on this one.  Hope you enjoy playing with the image and I promise to follow up ASAP!

Dropbox file:

Dropbox - D41_0514.NEF - Simplify your life

And then the rules:

The exercise is weekly, a new thread with a new raw (preferably) or jpg fine file for each week.

The exercise officially runs until midnight between sunday and monday pst (UTC-8). Even after the official deadline, the exercise is still open for new interpretations.

This is a round-robin exercise, the order of submitting the week’s raw file is based on an alphabetical list of applicants’ user names. If the next submitter on the list is unable to post at his/her turn he/she may ask the thread master to be moved down the list no later than friday morning. Late applications will be added at the bottom of the list.

We will revise this when every applicant has had a go, and perhaps change this model.

The submitter for the week must make the file along with any specific text for the post available to the thread master during the weekend preceding the challenge week. The thread master will then copy the file to a Dropbox location for the challenge and make the starting post for the week.

The exercise is open to all members, not only the file submitters.

Images provided, as well as the images resulting from the exercise remain the sole property of the photographer who took them. Those participating in the editing exercise may not use or display the photo outside the exercise thread.

It is allowed to make derivative interpretations on other participants’ work (a collaborative approach). If you base your take on someone else’s work, you must indicate what you started from.

The owner of the photo comments on the work done, highlighting what he liked best (both the interpretation itself and the technique used to get there) after the original week is over.

As this exercise is a tool for learning and inspiration, multiple entries are not only ok, but encouraged if a participant gets a new idea for how to present or interpret the photo, including artistic interpretations.

Participants must share how they have achieved their take on the photo.

Participants are explicitly not limited as to what software is used for the exercise.

Bart

Bart

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,392 posts
  • Country Flag

A great action shot, TBonz!

This is not really a rugby country so, a rare opportunity for me.

I decided to take the opportunity to explore more of Capture 1 with this exercise.

Next to the more usuals manipulations as crop, lighting, contrast, saturation and detail, I tried my hand at layers.

I have very little experience with layers since I'm a PS novice (at best). LR nor DxO offer this concept.

I used the layer to add brightening in some local areas like the player in the uncomfortable position.

This is what I ended up with:

p2300037768-5.jpgp2300037757-2.jpg

Result:

p2300037726-5.jpg

I also eliminated a small bright spot on the left side of the "horizon"

Still in C1, I made a b&w version:

p2300037742-5.jpg

Result:

p2300037728-5.jpg

C1 offers a possibility to open an image in another application.

I went to PS -> convert to smart layer -> Silver Efex and back to C1.

In SEP, I went for some heavier than my usual processing  :)

p2300037730-5.jpgp2300037729-5.jpg

I added some work in LR to get rid of the pole on the right that was bothering me.

With the brush to darken the right edge and then the healing tool. Easier to do because of the burning of the edges I applied in SEP.

Result:

p2300037727-5.jpg

Thanks, TBonz for lending us this excellent action image.

I found it really interesting to work on.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

TBonz, hard to improve on your shots, you are always so spot on.

I cropped to bring out more facial recognition, but still wanted to include all the players.  I used spot editing to lighten the shadow on the ball carriers face, #18, so we could see his expression a bit more. didn't work as well as i had hoped.  I then converted into b/w with Topaz, which I thought I would lose all recognition of faces but I think it turned out well.

Attached Thumbnails

• apr 30 edit chall_.jpg
  • apr 30 edit chall bw.jpg

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Happy to pop back in for a few minutes...things seem to be settling down at least a little bit...

Bart  and Deano - always love to see what each of you do with images and neither of you let me down!  I really love the way all of the B&W images turned out.  The color images are great as well, but I really love your monochromes..

I went for a fairly tight crop and a bit of added vibrance and saturation.  It's been busy enough that I haven't even had a chance to play with other options yet, but I hope to get back at it soon...

Rugby-0514.jpg

Thanks guys for making my image look better than I did!!!