Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tamron or Sigma 70-200MM for Nikon D7100

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Nikon17

Nikon17

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
This is some of the lenses I am looking at. Which of these do you think is best for my Nikon D7100. 
I do horse photography at shows alot of jumper events so I need a bigger and faster zoom lens then my 55-200 mm. 

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I have been doing similar research myself, recently, albeit at a lower price point, into zooms for my D610. I race dogs so we probably have similar needs. Many years ago, 1994 as I recall, I used a Sigma zoom, on a Nikon F4, to photograph the Glastonbury music festival. half way through the gig it broke in half and Sigma were't interested. I've never forgiven them! I have some limited experience of SP series Tamrons and they've been very good.

My internet research seems to reflect that - which is a bummer as Tamron SP lenses, even used ones, are out of my current reach. For me IQ is probably not an issue as the end product will only end up on Facebbok pages and the odd pic in the local paper. What kind of final image quality are you after, are you looking at web based viewing or giant prints?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have shot the Tamron, not the Sigma...it is not a bad lens, but it is not as fast to focus as the Nikon VRII.  That is probably less of an issue with horse jumping where you can plan ahead and get the focus close even before the horse gets to where you want to shoot.  For me, it was an issue with other sports such as football, soccer, lacrosse, etc. where movements are less predictable.