Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's this

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Two photos using the same lens. One is Automatic Settings that used the flash. I cleaned my lens took another and I got the same.

Second pic is on Scenes>Dusk. I did a manual setting and it was clear of the spots.

The spots have to be a result of the flash. I first thought rain spots but it was not raining.

SJM_7020.jpg

SJM_7023.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What aperture did the camera choose for you in each case?

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

What aperture did the camera choose for you in each case?

8 on the bad one, 5 on the good one.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

How does the photo look if you take a photo of the sky closed down as far as possible? Just put the camera in A, close the aperture down and shoot through an open window.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

How does the photo look if you take a photo of the sky closed down as far as possible? Just put the camera in A, close the aperture down and shoot through an open window.

I guess I will have to  try that tonight.   So  go in A mode, set the aperture as low as the camera will go and shoot from in the house through an open window.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It is just that I suspect that you might have some dust on the sensor. This shows up better the more the aperture is closed down.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

It is just that I suspect that you might have some dust on the sensor. This shows up better the more the aperture is closed down.

It just seems I got the rocket blaster out about a month ago.   But I guess it can have dust on it in that time even though I am careful at leaving something attached to the camera all the time whether it be lens or the actual cap.   I may try and do your test during my lunch time. 

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Took this just a few minutes ago.  

2017-04-10_12.35.21.jpg

The F stop is at 3.5 the lowest I can get it to go.  But I don't see the spots

The image is blurry.    I could not take the pic without going to manual focus then I just snapped it without thinking.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Try to stop down; i.e. Have the aperture closed most: f22/f32 (depends on your lens what the max is)

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Try to stop down; i.e. Have the aperture closed most: f22/f32 (depends on your lens what the max is)

Hmmmm,   beginner here.  So you want me to set it up to F22 or higher?

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Yep ;)

The Aperture is a fraction; i.e. 1/22 is a much smaller hole for the light passing through than an 1/2.8

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Here is F/36.  don't see the spots.

2017-04-10_13.04.11.jpg

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Yep ;)
The Aperture is a fraction; i.e. 1/22 is a much smaller hole for the light passing through than an 1/2.8

Thank you for this information. It explains to me why I have to have my eye has all up higher

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It looks like the flash caught something atmospheric. If it wasn't rain or snow, it might have been particles in the air. Good to see that it isn't a dirty sensor, at least.

By the way, have you seen my weekly one week... minichallenges? They are a good way to get out and shoot at least almost daily and really get to know one lens at a time. 

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

It looks like the flash caught something atmospheric. If it wasn't rain or snow, it might have been particles in the air. Good to see that it isn't a dirty sensor, at least.
By the way, have you seen my weekly one week... minichallenges? They are a good way to get out and shoot at least almost daily and really get to know one lens at a time.

I was unaware of your mini Challenges! Just looked now and saw the photo contest but that doesn't seem to be what you are talking about? You may have to link me to it.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

They are in the Mini-Challenges... subsection. Skärmavbild 2017-04-10 kl. 21.12.36.png

I run the One week, one camera, one lens challenge and the Editing exercises. Nicole (nbanjogal) runs the Your best... challenge. 

The editing exercises are all open even if the original week has passed, and we can all learn things by reading them as every photographer sees the potential in a raw file differently. 

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag

Here is F/36. don't see the spots.

2017-04-10_13.04.11.jpg

As Peter said, good to see it is not a dirty sensor.

Just wanting to point out what he was after: have a look next to the antenna where you will see a couple of black dots, which are likely minor dust particles. Nothing to worry about - and unless you mostly shoot with an aperture higher than f10, nothing you will see on your captures.

But shooting with a high aperture (i.e. Aperture closed down) against a uniform surface or the sky, will show whether or not it is time clean the sensor - or whether your cleaning was successfull.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

They are in the Mini-Challenges... subsection. attachicon.gifSkärmavbild 2017-04-10 kl. 21.12.36.png

I run the One week, one camera, one lens challenge and the Editing exercises. Nicole (nbanjogal) runs the Your best... challenge. 

The editing exercises are all open even if the original week has passed, and we can all learn things by reading them as every photographer sees the potential in a raw file differently. 

I will dig into them this weekend.   Busy day today.  But from what I see it looks like fun.   Looking forward to it

As Peter said, good to see it is not a dirty sensor.

Just wanting to point out what he was after: have a look next to the antenna where you will see a couple of black dots, which are likely minor dust particles. Nothing to worry about - and unless you mostly shoot with an aperture higher than f10, nothing you will see on your captures.

But shooting with a high aperture (i.e. Aperture closed down) against a uniform surface or the sky, will show whether or not it is time clean the sensor - or whether your cleaning was successfull.

I will get my rocket cleaner out tonight and clean with it and then do another test.   I hope I can clean with the rocket blaster.