Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Filters

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Shadillac

Shadillac

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag

I have been reading about different kinds of filters.  My question is how do you know which filter to use and when or do I even need to use one at all?  My 50mm lens came with a UV, CPL, Fluorescent filter.  Im assuming I use the FL-D filter when shooting my kids in the gym playing school sports?  I see there are ND filters and so one..  

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
UV and FL-D are useless with digital as you can adjust for white balance issues in post (and digital cameras have UV filtering on the sensor).

CPL filters can be useful to reduce glare off reflective surfaces, and give dramatic results with some skies (but some of their effects can be done in post). They can also be used as a 2 stop ND.

ND filters are designed to cut down on light when there is simply too much of it for the shutter speed and aperture you would like to use. Think wanting a long shutter speed for flowing water in bright sunlight.

But good filters are expensive, a pain in the ass to use, and much of what I described can be done in post by blending multiple exposures.

And of course there is the age old argument that they are good for protecting a front lens element. What they're really good at is adding more glare and less contrast to some shots than without.

Bottom line is that they were a real necessity in the days of film but I rarely have use for one... I have ND, graduated ND, CPL, and Infrared, but the infrared is the only one that I really play with now and again. It is just really rare that I am out and about and think "damn I really wish I had a CPL for this shot!" 

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Country Flag

If you are shooting color film- the FL-D is useful. Shooting Digital, as stated- let the Digital White balance do the job. If you are a real "hi-Fi" geek, there have been discussions on using color balance filters with digital cameras to reduce sensor noise- ie, try to get the same amount of light across the color channels. Interesting Science Experiment...