Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

d3400 bluetooth and location are greyed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

mooseymomofmany

mooseymomofmany

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
I have gone as far as resetting everything on this camera, but the Bluetooth and location are both grey. I do not know how to fix

ALMMRS

ALMMRS

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I bought a new Nikon D5600 (latest firmware v1.01) and it has BT (Bluetooth) version 4.1.

SnapBridge will only work with the newer BT 4.x technology (see small print on SnapBridge page, on Nikon website). It reads: A device with BT 4.0 or later (i.e. a device that supports BT Smart Ready/Low Energy).  

You may have the most current iOS on your device, but if you have BT 2.0 embedded in the device it will NEVER work!

This is probably why so many folks have issues, they are trying to pair with smart devices that are not supported, i.e. they have outdated BT technology in their devices. You can look up BT versions on Apple website for each version of iPhone/IPad, so you can check what is actually embedded in your 'smart' device.

What will NOT work: any smart device (iPhone or iPad) with BT 2.x or 3.x.  This version of BT will not work with SnapBridge.  

Even an older Ipad 3 with BT version 4.0 did NOT work (at least I could not get it to work). 

What DOES work: any smart device with BT 4.x (4.1 and above it seems). My new iPhone 5SE with BT 4.2 works just great with SnapBridge.

Embedded BT technology in a device is not 'upgradable', it does not go from 2.0 to 4.2 with a newest version of iOS !!  So even if firmware, and iOS are all current, you are out of luck if you have older devices with embedded BT 2.x, 3.x (and maybe 4.0) technology in it. 

Yes, SnapBridge will turn on the cameras BT function (once you have it working and paired).  You CANNOT turn BT function on yourself in camera settings (greyed out). SnapBridge can also control your camera, so you can take pics remotely using your phone.  SnapBridge uses the WIFI capability of the camera.  The camera is acting as a wireless access point, but ONLY Snapbridge can connect/communicate with it, it seems.

I tried other software to connect to the camera, it will not work. The only other thing to control my D5600 is the Camera Control Pro software (full version).  Comes at a price (see Nikon site), but it works great with my MacBook Pro laptop.   

jaschmerold

jaschmerold

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Easy Fix, On the Nikon D3400, just ignore that the Bluetooth is turned off and is greyed out.  The fix is  ((Please leave your camera on), just go to your Cellphone, in my case it is the iphone 5c, and if you have the Nikon SnapBridge installed on your phone, please uninstall it from your phone, then reinstall the App SnapBridge, Your phone thru SnapBridge will now be able to communicate with the camera.  If you look at the bluetooth setting on the camera, it will no longer be greyed out, and will be in the on position, thanks

slide

slide

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Had the same problem with a new 5600. 

Problem is the SnapBridge app.

Had to "add new camera" (within the app)

Then all was well. 

slide

slide

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I had the same problem.

The fix is in the SnapBridge app.

From within the app, you need to "add camera"

Once you do that, the bluetooth selection on the camera will light up, and 

all will work.  

Previously, my SnapBridge app kept coming up saying Nikon P900 (my other camera) and the 

Bluetooth choice on the D5600 was greyed out. 

Added the 5600 from within SnapBridge, and all fixed. 

Good Luck!

nikon principiante

nikon principiante

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

ok guys.........first it all apologize for English writing but i would like to say same problem happened to me few hours ago and i felt like some stupid moving the every button on the camera to try to turn Bluetooth on.....nothing happen aaahhhhhhhhh

i just think ok.....im going to do like the beggining.

the Bluetooth only turn on when you pair a device 

so.....uninstall the app completely and reinstall again....that work for me