Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Needing to upgrade from my D3000

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Shadillac

Shadillac

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
I have a D3000 and looking to upgrade to either the D5600, D7100 or D7200 for my next camera. Just looking for some opinions from you guys as I actually new and wanting to learn more. I usually take portraits, and action shots as my 2 boys play football, Volleyball and lake activities. I also might do some video and I like the rotating screen of the 5600 but I'm not buying a camera just for that!
I'm also looking for recommended lenses from you guys also for a all around type lens. I just bought a Nikon 50mm 1.4G as my first lens upgrade and my other 2 lenses I carry are just the kit lens that came with the D3000.

Thanks in advance as this is my first post!

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Hi, I can't comment on the cameras you're looking at, as I have no experience of the DX Nikons but I do have a 50/1.4G which I use on the D610. It's a cracking lens, much better than the reviews ever let on! IMHO anyway. Good choice, enjoy.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
If I was to upgrade from the 3000 series I would skip the 5000 series and go with a 7000 series camera. With that said, the 7200 is getting a little long in the tooth, and with Nikon's 100th anniversary coming up I would wait to see what they might have up their sleeve.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Starting from a D3000 all of the mentioned cameras will be an improvement.

As regards the D5600, even so it may have some good technical specifications, its ergonomics, which Nikon introduced with the D5500, are not the best and may suit an occasional event or city trip better than sports activities.

While some may argue for the build-in motor of the D7xxx allowing to use older lenses, I think that the real value for you over the D5600 are the better weather sealings and the ergonomics.

Whether to choose between a D7100 and D7200 depends on your budget. If you can afford the higher budget for the D7200 then go for the D7200 as it brings a number of technical advantages, otherwise opt for the D7100.

As regards lenses for the above mentioned types of captures some of the activities are indoor and others outdoor. For the indoor activities you will need more light and larger apertures will be beneficial.

Here are a few for considering, sorted by what I would consider to be the focal lengths that will serve you best

- 70-200/2.8 (Nikon, but also Tamron), FX
- 24-120/4 Nikkor, FX
- 16-80/2.8-4 Nikkor, DX
- 24-70/2.8 (Nikon, but also Tamron), FX

Shadillac

Shadillac

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you guys for the info, so glad I joined here to receive great recommendations like this!

If I do go with the 7 series it will be the 7200 because I like the bluetooth and wifi built in.  I don't really have a budget right now and Im looking to jump in and just purchase some nice stuff.

Jerry, Thank you for the help with the new lens options also!  What if I would go with one of the camera with the range of the Tamron 16-300/3.5 or is the Tamron 70-200/2.8 just a much better option?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The superzooms are less sharp and contrasty than at least most of the two-lens combos that cover the same focal lengths.

I would go with the 16-80 and one of the 70-200-s as you will use the telezoom lots in situations where you need the bigger max aperture, not only for exposure but also for the AF to work at it's fastest. If you are on a budget, the early Nikon 70-200VR has fallen out of favour as the later versions are better on FX. As long as this is not a consideration, you can buy a wonderful lens for DX sport photography cheap used.

Shadillac

Shadillac

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag

Starting from a D3000 all of the mentioned cameras will be an improvement.

As regards the D5600, even so it may have some good technical specifications, its ergonomics, which Nikon introduced with the D5500, are not the best and may suit an occasional event or city trip better than sports activities.

While some may argue for the build-in motor of the D7xxx allowing to use older lenses, I think that the real value for you over the D5600 are the better weather sealings and the ergonomics.

Whether to choose between a D7100 and D7200 depends on your budget. If you can afford the higher budget for the D7200 then go for the D7200 as it brings a number of technical advantages, otherwise opt for the D7100.

As regards lenses for the above mentioned types of captures some of the activities are indoor and others outdoor. For the indoor activities you will need more light and larger apertures will be beneficial.

Here are a few for considering, sorted by what I would consider to be the focal lengths that will serve you best

- 70-200/2.8 (Nikon, but also Tamron), FX
- 24-120/4 Nikkor, FX
- 16-80/2.8-4 Nikkor, DX
- 24-70/2.8 (Nikon, but also Tamron), FX

Thank you for the help jerry!!

If I was to upgrade from the 3000 series I would skip the 5000 series and go with a 7000 series camera. With that said, the 7200 is getting a little long in the tooth, and with Nikon's 100th anniversary coming up I would wait to see what they might have up their sleeve.

Any idea when the new stuff will be coming out?  I cam always get the lenses purchased and then wait for the camera as long as they work with my D3000 for now.

The superzooms are less sharp and contrasty than at least most of the two-lens combos that cover the same focal lengths.

I would go with the 16-80 and one of the 70-200-s as you will use the telezoom lots in situations where you need the bigger max aperture, not only for exposure but also for the AF to work at it's fastest. If you are on a budget, the early Nikon 70-200VR has fallen out of favour as the later versions are better on FX. As long as this is not a consideration, you can buy a wonderful lens for DX sport photography cheap used.

Thanks Merco for the help.  so are you saying no 70-300mm lens also?  What if i would go with a Tamron 16-300 but never maxed it out?  would that work or not?  Im all about carrying multi lenses around with me as Im not scared..lol

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The trouble with the 70-300 zooms is that they are slow lenses, especially at the tele end. f/5.6 means that you will have only 1/4 of the light available compared to a f/2.8 lens. The f/4 or so at the wide end is still only 1/2 the amount of light. This will probably not matter too much for outdoor sports in the daytime but it will make your photography more difficult at indoor and low-light events.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

Any idea when the new stuff will be coming out?

D7100 was announced March 2013; D7200 about that same time of year in 2015. So we're due to see an update soon.

With that said, Nikon has their 100th anniversary in July. One might assume they will want to make some big announcements then.

So possibly within the next month, or July at the latest.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag

... Jerry, Thank you for the help with the new lens options also! What if I would go with one of the camera with the range of the Tamron 16-300/3.5 or is the Tamron 70-200/2.8 just a much better option?

All these lenses will also work on your D3000, but - as Peter said - superzooms have always a compromise factor. The Tamron 16-300 has a zoom factor of almost 20x, also it has a max aperture range of 3.5-6.3, meaning that the max aperture of 3.5 applies for the 18mm focal length, while when you will zoom in at 300 you will have a max aperture of 6.3.

The max aperture is not only relevant for taking the picture, but also for the focussing process which is done with max aperture open; i.e. the wider the aperture is open for focussing, the more light gets in, the faster it is for the camera to find the good contrast and thereby good focussing setting.

The Nikkor 70-300 has a variable max aperture of 4.5-5.6

The Nikkor/Tamron 70-200 has a constant max aperture of 2.8

Also, you might want to check for the lenses to have VR, which may help with about one stop in low light situations, considering that one stop in aperture halfs the time the shutter has to be open.

As regards the camera - and as Scott mentioned - it could be that Nikon is launching a new model in a few months, which will not only bring some new technical features, but also create a pricedrop on previous models. So, if you have the time to wait ....