Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Compact Flash (CF)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ms37448

ms37448

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

I tried to save the images on my CF Card [SanDisk Extreme 64 GB 120 MB/s UDMA 7] from a D810 on to a MacBook Pro and subsequently to a Windows 10 PC, using a USB 3 Card Reader. 

On the MacBook Pro the error message is that the Card cannot be read as it is not formatted for a MAC. 

When I use the same CF Card and Card Reader on the PC, the error message is the card is not formatted.  In both cases I am asked if I wish to format the card.

I would appreciate any help from the forum on how I can get the images off the CF card on to either the MacBook Pro or the Windows PC?

Thank you

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

As the Mac can read the most common non-Mac-formats (FAT, exFAT and NTFS), it would be interesting to know, what the actual format is.

You can check with "disk utility" in macOS/OS X.

As a work around, you might try connecting the camera directly with a USB cable to the computer. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Unfortunately, this sounds like a scrambled file allocation table. If using the camera as a card reader doesn't work, you could try to get your hands on RescuePRO. This application will read the surface directly, bypassing the FAT and usually works to rescue information from a scrambled card. It might, of course, be a defective card reader as well.

Was the card formatted in the camera or using a card reader and computer? 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I think that, assuming the images are readable in camera, I would try Malice's idea and connect the camera directly. If the images all transfer completely, I would probably be inclined to at least temporarily retire the card. However, I wouldn't rush to reformat it until I was absolutely sure that all the transferred images were serviceable and backed up to a secondary location. 

Having said that I would add that I'm immediately suspicious of any card that is this problematic. 

--Ron

ms37448

ms37448

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
My thanks to Ron, Merck_61 and Malice for their suggestions.

Problem solved.

i had managed to bend the pins at both ends of the card reader slot, when I inserted the card for the first time.

Once the pins had been "straightened" I was able to gently insert the card into the reader and access the images on both the PC and the Mac. 😡

Thank you all.

MS37448