Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D810 with 24-120mm lens vignetting

d810 vignetting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

krabito

krabito

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I just purchased a Nikon D810 with a 24-120mm f4 lens.  I am getting vignetting on the images. I've attached 2 images, one with the 24-120mm and the other with a 18-35mm Nikkor lens.  All are FX, never purchased a DX lens.  This is the second D810, returned the first one to B&H because of the same thing.  Nikon support said to reset the camera which I did.  No change.  Any feedback.  Getting annoyed that I need to send the second one back.

Thanks,

Kevin

Attached Thumbnails

• Nikkor18-35mm_0102201402.JPG
  • Nikkor24-120mm_0102201403.JPG

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 24-120 is well known for vignetting, the 18-35 (both the current and the old D version) vignettes too. The D810 sensor will always show that vignetting, no matter how many cameras you return because of a lens flaw. The vignetting is easily corrected in post in most software by just applying standard lens corrections for the lens.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

In my experience, most lenses will exhibit some degree of vignetting. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

The cheaper D610 has a vignetting control option in it's menus (which I have turned off). I don't have a D810 but I would be surprised if that camera didn't also include such an option. That said...

Peter is right. It's the lens, and you'll see the same thing with at least a number of other Nikkors. I imagine that if you're shooting blank walls and don't want to correct ... either in camera or in post, then you have a problem. However, again... with my much cheaper D610, it hasn't been that much trouble. And, I use some lenses that are well known for vignetting.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I should add that if you shoot in jpg or use Capture NX-D or ViewNX-i for your conversions from .nef, you will get the benefit of turning lens corrections on in-camera. Third-party software don't read that setting, so you will have to activate the corrections in post if you use something else. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

About the only other thing one can do to reduce vignetting is to stop down. The closer a lens is to wide open, the more noticeable vignetting will be. In most cases, you should see an improvement around mid apertures.

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d810, vignetting