Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upgrade Nikon d3200

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Markhius

Markhius

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi all,

I bought a nikon d3200 a couple years ago to start into photography. Now that I'm more experienced I'd like to upgrade it.

I'd like a DX camera so i can still use my 3 lenses, but with in-built servo for focusing, so i can also use other lenses. I love taking landscape night pictures, stars, long exposures. So also a camera that can handle higher ISO without adding noise.

Any recommendations that would fit me needs? D7200 would be a good choice?

Thanks all for your help

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D7200 fits your requirements perfectly. The D500 is an even better camera but the faster to use ergonomics, bigger buffer and faster continuous shooting are where the main part of the price difference lies, and those are not necessarily improvements for your use. <

Markhius

Markhius

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks so much for your fast response Merco. IS there much difference between the D7100 and D7200? If i can save some bucks I'd like to get the tokina 11-16mm

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The EXPEED 4 processor tweaks very much more from what is basically the same sensor as the D7100. The Multi-Cam 3500 II AF is much more capable in low light than the version I was. The D7200 gets more shots per charge of the battery, and the battery life doesn't nosedive in the cold unlike the earlier model.

The D7200 is quite a bit better, but the difference in price is quite a bit of money, so choosing between them isn't easy.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,262 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

And, some people swear that the D7200 has ever so slightly better image quality than the D500. So, if you don't need all the D500 bells and whistles, the D7200 may be your best choice.

--Ron

Robfowler

Robfowler

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey guys

One of my mates suggested that I rent a Nikon d3200 from Fat Lama for when I go on holiday to Hainan, China in a couple of weeks and I do photography etc etc (I don’t do enough exciting stuff to justify buying one :D). The problem is I don’t really know which of them on there is the best to get. I’m not by any means good at picture editing or anything like that, it’ll just be for me and my mates to look back at. Do any of them on there look suitable? (Apologies if this question gets asked a lot!)

Cheers!

Rob

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Rob,

If it is your first time out with a camera, the D3x00 is easy to use while giving good results.

The next question to ask is what lens you will use it with. You could opt for the standard 18-55 VR2 kit lens, which will serve most purposes, or go for a longer lens like the 18-140 if you think that you want to zoom in.

This setup should well serve you for having some captures to look back at your trip.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,262 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Robfowler, at the risk of starting an argument, I'll suggest that you may be better served by what you probably already have. Your phone. Assuming you have a recent smart phone you probably have a pretty decent camera already. You won't have interchangeable lenses but you also won't need to spend time learning how to use that new camera. You probably already know how to use the one in your phone. And it's fall over easy to use free or mostly free software to edit and share your photos.

If you're dead set on renting a DSLR, then the advice Jerry provided is a good starting point.

--Ron