Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

All-in-one lens for d7200

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

GerryZ

GerryZ

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello Experts,

I am planning to upgrade to Nikon d7200 and at this point am looking for a recommended all around lens. Looking for a All-in-one lens that can provide the best value for a family trip - shooting a bit of landscape, a bit of urban and of course lots of kids.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Upgrading to the D7200 from your current D80 will give you some real enhancements.

What is/are the lens(es) that you have been using so far? This will help.

A multi purpose lens that comes to my mind for the D7200 is the 18-140 which you may also get as a kitlens with the camera.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 18-140 is a nice walkaround zoom like Jerry said. If you want something a bit wider, both the old 16-85 and the new 16-80 work well on the D7200. The two extra millimeters gained at the wide end are often more useful than the lost 55-60 mm at the long end. The 16-80 is better in all respects than it's predecessor but it costs nearly twice too.

What lenses do you have in your current set? How long does the lens have to be at the long end? If the 18-140 is too short and you want a superzoom, the latest 18-300 is *much* better than the earlier one.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,262 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I usually recommend that, rather than go for a single lens solution, people instead opt for two lenses. The aforementioned AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85 f/3.5-5.6 ED VR and the AF-S VR Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G ED. On a DX camera like the D7200 this combination gives incredible reach. However, all in one lenses do have their appeal so I understand people who prefer to go that route.

--Ron

jhskyline

jhskyline

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a new 7200 and am considering a Tamron AF 18-200 as a "walk-around" lens. It is very attractively priced. I used to own a Tamron 18-270 and it served me well for years of heavy use, so I'm favorably inclined toward Tamron. Would probably like the extra width of 16mm, but the price seems to escalate for those. And is Tamron optically comparable to Nikon in consumer type lenses? Thoughts, anybody?