Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dropped my D750 :(

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Dropped my D750 3 feet onto an icy street after taking a couple photos. The first thing I noticed was the memory card door was open, it closed without any problems. The next was the screen was extended and that seems to be the only problem, other than the two photos I took prior to dropping it that never recorded for some reason. The included photos show where it's hitting on both sides that is keeping the screen from flattening onto the body. Can anyone with a D750 show me how the part goes without hitting the screwed on piece? Sorry I don't know how to exactly explain the problem. Hopefully the photos will.

33252422986_fb7a4ee4e8_b.jpg

33252412246_4d06cb9c46_b.jpg

This is how far it can go.

33293101345_18c30786eb_b.jpg

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Country Flag

May not want to hear this but-

I would send it on to have checked, especially alignment of the sensor with lens. It took enough of a hit to bend metal, best to have checked over before you get important shots missed.

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

May not want to hear this but-

I would send it on to have checked, especially alignment of the sensor with lens. It took enough of a hit to bend metal, best to have checked over before you get important shots missed.

I was hoping I could fix it myself, especially since I need it next week to take photos of our HS BB teams at the state tournament. First time for the girls and the boys since the early 1980s.

The sensor doesn't seem to be affected by the drop when I looked at a photo I just took. Maybe I'll just  grind/file down the corners now and get it repaired later since it's out of the 90 day refurbished warranty. 

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Country Flag

You might try a "brick wall" test or something just as  a quick test for corner alignment. 

Filing or bending the metal back to shape with needle-nosed pliers usually works. I don't have a D750, can't help with how it should work.

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

That's just it, the metal strip does not looked bent at all, just a very slight bend on the long metal strip and the ends look ok, both at 90 deg angles. I tried using needle-nosed pliers to slide the corners through but I couldn't move them individually. 

drandyperry

drandyperry

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Check all focal lengths when you do your test. I dropped my d810 lens down (my sigma 24-105 f/4) which dislodged the barrel and knocked the focusing out of alignment. Good news is that sigma fixed my lens for £60 and nikon aligned everything up for about £150 and its perfect now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Check all focal lengths when you do your test. I dropped my d810 lens down (my sigma 24-105 f/4) which dislodged the barrel and knocked the focusing out of alignment. Good news is that sigma fixed my lens for £60 and nikon aligned everything up for about £150 and its perfect now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Ouch. Glad you got your setup repaired. The autofocus and the VC on my tamron seem to be working fine along with the camera body. There was a photo I took after the drop that doesn't look right and the few test shots I took seem inconclusive to me. I'll have to try a better test when I get to Anchorage, where there are brick walls, later this week. I can also compare the lens with a Nikkor 70-200 VRII if the camera shop still has it for rent for the few days I'll be there.

Also, I filed down the points to where the screen can now be placed flat on the body.