Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My film cameras are dying

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

A few months ago My FM2 developed film advance issues. I can only advance the lever with the release ( for multiple exposures ) Held. that is after removing the bottom plate to release the arm manually. The shutter button is not set so I cannot trip the shutter. Today I went to load a roll of film in my FE and after tripping the shutter in several settings I moved it to AUTO.  like it was on it now has the same issues as the FM2 I can not advance the film lever nor trip the shutter. I am looking for ideas, before I get ticked enough to just rip one of them apart. I am now own to only having 2 35mm film bodies working and they are my K1000 and a Pentax ZX L. None of my Nikon bodies  are working.

I am open to suggestions since I really do like these 2 cameras but I do not want to just replace them. The FM2 is my avatar here.

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

How old are these cameras? Is it possible they need a good CLA? I had to have engine work done on an old Toyota. This model is supposed to last 250,000 to 300,000 miles but it lasted only 125,000. Stuff happens, even to the best of gizmos. I'd check your batteries and connections, first.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Sounds like it is time for a CLA for both bodies. If you are hesitant about doing it yourself, Camera Service Co. in Smyrna, GA have a solid reputation for working on Nikons of all ages, even the models Nikon's own repair shops won't touch as they don't have the parts anymore. Their reputation is good enough that we have heard about them here on this side of the Atlantic...

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

They don't last forever, unfortunately. About ten years ago, getting ready to depart for a year-long project in Australia, I sent my F4 to Fixation for a service only for them to find that the mirror box was cracked and nikon couldn't supply a new one! The upside was that it made me use the F5, a camera I had never really got on with up until then, and I realised how much better a camera it was.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

If these are the cameras that you feel most comfortable using- get a CLA on them. If you want to do it yourself, find an online tutorial,  download a manual or get a couple of books. But some "Junkers" to practice on.  Personal opinion: The smaller FM/FE series is not as easy to work on as the Nikon F.

Repair Manual, PDF format:

http://www.warrenwor...pair Manual.pdf

Have you tried flood-cleaning with lighter fluid or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol?

On a Contax IIIa repair- I found some camera grade oil was required to keep the shutter release mechanism from jamming up. Used very sparingly, after 2 flood cleanings just did not cut it.

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks everyone.

I finally got the Fe working correctly. The FM2 acts like the shutter did not fully cock. The film advance lever will not move past the "on" position to let me cock the shutter. Even with the button pushed to let me do multiple exposures. I guess I have more work for myself on this one.

Thanks for the link Brian. I have downloaded it.

Camera Service co. is the repair branch of KEH I believe.

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

A shooting buddy of mine recommended a gentleman that has done some repairs for him . I already have an estimate back $165 for the repairs and CLA + $18 for shipping.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

The FM2 is worth it, will be like using a new camera.

I've had one Nikon F, and one Nikkormat lock-up on me while using them over the years. I bought an F2 from a Pawn shop for $50 that was locked up. They just do not lock up much! When I shoot film, and I need to do more of that- I tend to use the Rangefinders. I've had to calibrate them, and had a problem with the shutter not capping on an S2 while rewinding- but they are easier to work on compared with SLR's.