Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Camera straps

accessories straps optech

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Just treated myself to a new camera strap as the old one was getting a bit tatty after 20 years or so.

I got another OpTech Pro, it's the third one I've had and I can't remember not having one. Very durable, very comfortable.

What's everyone else using?

Attached File  IMG_6256.jpg   499.65KB   25 downloads

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Either an Op/Tech pro, webbing straps between the Op/Tech quick-connects and D-rings on a backpack harness or an old Multiplex R/C transmitter harness with the Op/Tech quick-connects.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Just the original wide strap that came with my D50 - no sign of any weakness developing, and I'm used to it.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Ha ha--you guys will probably just laugh and roll your eyes at this, but I've gone the fashionable route--I've been using this strap for the last five years: 

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 8.53.27 AM.png   113.54KB   21 downloads

Obviously not my photo since it's on a Canon--just a screen shot from Amazon. It's attached to my D810 right now. Despite the fashion emphasis, it's surprisingly comfortable and durable. And cute, ha. 

On my D600 I've got a freebie that I got from SmugMug--it's made out of that black rubbery material and is so comfortable, stretchy, and soft. Quite like it.

If I had more weddings and events planned to shoot this year, I think I'd try out one of those harnesses that lets you carry two cameras comfortably at once. The last wedding I shot I had both cameras on their own straps--a bit awkward but manageable. 

I've never been comfortable advertising what camera I'm carrying, so I've always promptly disposed of the strap Nikon provides.

Have any of you tried a wrist strap? I think it would be impractical for many situations, but for something like a portrait shoot, I can see it being a good option. Been thinking about that for awhile...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Have any of you tried a wrist strap? I think it would be impractical for many situations, but for something like a portrait shoot, I can see it being a good option. Been thinking about that for awhile...

When I use a body without a vertical grip, I like to use a Canon E2 strap that is anchored with a buckle at the eyelet at the top and the L-plate at the bottom.

Attached File  1-aa14377.jpg   70.16KB   18 downloads

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

Have any of you tried a wrist strap?

I've tried a number of grip/wrist straps over the years and... well... meh.

I have an Op/Tech strap which attaches to the camera via the loop connects... I simply take a padded, nylon cord lanyard and loop it through the connect on the grip side when I want a wrist strap. Tying a strategicly placed knot in it lets me get the perfect length.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm old fashioned I guess but I use Nikon AN4b straps on both of my cameras. They are very thin, don't advertise and are very comfortable. I also have Op/Tech straps and connectors but it always seemed that they were getting in the way. Especially when shooting verticals. However, I've recently started going back to shooting verticals using the shutter button down method so they might not be in the way as much.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I used the AN4b or something like it on the FE2 for years, but it is too thin to carry an F4E with a 180/2.8, 300/4.5 or 400/5.6 for more than half an hour. I still have one of the Kodak Elite photographer freebies on the F4E.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Seems that straps, like camera bags, are a moving target for most of us. Just yesterday, I swore that I'll never buy another bag that has one single piece of Velcro on it anywhere.

I've rarely carried lenses as long or heavy as the one's you mention, Peter. However, I did do quite a bit of shooting Tuesday using just my D610 (with grip) and my AF-S 70-300VR and didn't have any problems.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have spent far too much time with two F4E-s, one with the 300/4.5 ED and the other with the 400/5.6 ED mounted. The 70-300VR is ~750g, the 400/5.6 is 1400 and the 300/4.5 is 1100.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Love the tapestry strap! Never got on with wrist straps myself - I usually need my hands free for dog leads!

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Country Flag

Nicole- I gave away a number of Hippie Straps! The last of them tossed in as an extra for Ebay sells, years ago.

I tend to use the straps that come with the cameras, or recycled from cameras picked up cheap.

15629693639_e1e613a432_o.jpgcanonp_sonnars by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

What do you do with a perfectly good strap after the film made for a camera is gone?

15813615761_1db388941d_o.jpgs3_with_j3 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Or switch to a different camera... from a Nikon N4004...

Some of these older Nikon Straps are metal reinforced.

25592618461_f2a55a8d13_o.jpgf12_1 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

And have to be cutoff with metal sheers. 

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

BlackRapid RS-7. Can go all day with a heavy combo such as a 70-200/f2.8 or the 120-300/f2.8. Magic.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Ha ha--you guys will probably just laugh and roll your eyes at this, but I've gone the fashionable route--I've been using this strap for the last five years: 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-03-09 at 8.53.27 AM.png

Obviously not my photo since it's on a Canon--just a screen shot from Amazon. It's attached to my D810 right now. Despite the fashion emphasis, it's surprisingly comfortable and durable. And cute, ha. 

On my D600 I've got a freebie that I got from SmugMug--it's made out of that black rubbery material and is so comfortable, stretchy, and soft. Quite like it.

If I had more weddings and events planned to shoot this year, I think I'd try out one of those harnesses that lets you carry two cameras comfortably at once. The last wedding I shot I had both cameras on their own straps--a bit awkward but manageable. 

I've never been comfortable advertising what camera I'm carrying, so I've always promptly disposed of the strap Nikon provides.

I have a wrist strap on my Pentax k100D Super.  I like it a lot because it does offer a more secure feeling when using it, especially with Shake Reduction and no tripod.  I believe I paid approximately $7.00 with some shipping charges from ebay, brand new.  Give it a try, I believe you will like it.  Tony

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

BlackRapid RS-7. Can go all day with a heavy combo such as a 70-200/f2.8 or the 120-300/f2.8. Magic.

I've actually been thinking about getting this one. Glad to hear you like it.

Nicole- I gave away a number of Hippie Straps! The last of them tossed in as an extra for Ebay sells, years ago.

Hippie Straps?! HA hahahaha! I hadn't thought about it that way, but now that you mention it...

Love the tapestry strap! Never got on with wrist straps myself - I usually need my hands free for dog leads!

Yeah, I think their usefulness would be limited. Wouldn't take one hiking or anything active for sure. Maybe just for use in studio where the neck strap can get in the way and there are lots of surfaces to set the camera down on.

I have a wrist strap on my Pentax k100D Super.  I like it a lot because it does offer a more secure feeling when using it, especially with Shake Reduction and no tripod.  I believe I paid approximately $7.00 with some shipping charges from ebay, brand new.  Give it a try, I believe you will like it.  Tony

I just might try it--thanks for the recommendation.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Yeah, I think their usefulness would be limited. Wouldn't take one hiking or anything active for sure. Maybe just for use in studio where the neck strap can get in the way and there are lots of surfaces to set the camera down on.

With the OpTech Pro I just unclip the neoprene section from the camera attachment straps, using the two Fastex clips. They are thoughtfully arranged to be different on both sides so that the two camera attachment ends can then be clipped together forming a very short strap which i can wrap around my wrist.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

With the OpTech Pro I just unclip the neoprene section from the camera attachment straps, using the two Fastex clips. They are thoughtfully arranged to be different on both sides so that the two camera attachment ends can then be clipped together forming a very short strap which i can wrap around my wrist.

Ooooh...that's actually pretty cool. And neoprene has to be the most comfortable stuff out there as far as wearing something around your neck or over your shoulder. Sounds like something I ought to check out...

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

They're worth a look. I've had three, over the years. I just replaced my last one (fifteen years old at least) and I looked at other stuff but nothing suited me as well. They're not even expensive! Given that you're American, you'll be pleased to know they're US manufactured too. What's not to like? :D

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I tend to use a wrist strap for out & about shooting.

When it's going to be a long session, like an airshow, I use a double harness, like a Black Rapid, but normally a cheaper, eBay alternative.

I have spent many days walking around with 70-300 D80 on the left and 600 D7000 on the right. When switching between the two, I just drop one and pick up the other.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I am looking for something for my d7200 that is long enough for my camera to rest on my hip. Now it sits on my chest and bounces all over.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, straps, optech