Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D8*0 rumours?

nikon d800 d810 d820 d850 d900 rumours

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

What's the current thinking?

If?

When?

More megapixels (how many megapixels can a person need?)

Features that are actually useful?

Not that I'd buy it - I'd have to get a new computer just to handle the files...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It is about time this year as the D810 is due for an upgrade. I personally hope that it will get the D5/D500 ergonomics as it is even better than the D3s-derived controls of the D810 and a sensor that has even better DR than the current one.

The only reason for more megapixels is to get even the best lenses to act as a low-pass filter to avoid moire in the studio. The better prosumer lenses like the f/1.8 primes are too close to that threshold on the D810 and the f/1.4 primes and the latest pro zooms can sometimes produce moire when shooting fabrics.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,521 posts
  • Country Flag
Besides technical extras I also hope for an ergonomic alignment with the D5/D500 ....

Here is what is mentioned on NikonRumors
New rumors: Nikon D820 with 46MP - Nikon Rumors

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
I would have thought for sure it would have been announced at CP+. It wasn't. I'm now actually worried for Nikon.

I'm thinking the delay is because they want a 50+mp sensor. They feel a need to win the marketing race against Canon and have the highest mega pixel count. And Sony may not have an answer for them yet.

Personally I would've been more than happy with the 42mp sensor that is available.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I would have thought for sure it would have been announced at CP+. It wasn't. I'm now actually worried for Nikon.

I'm thinking the delay is because they want a 50+mp sensor. They feel a need to win the marketing race against Canon and have the highest mega pixel count. And Sony may not have an answer for them yet.

Personally I would've been more than happy with the 42mp sensor that is available.

I tend to agree with you. I feel that the high megapixel race would do well to migrate to Medium Format where there is a bit more real estate to play with. Then the FX format could concentrate on speed and flexibility as 35mm always did. I'm more than happy with my 24mp but I could certainly use a couple more stops of low light ability.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It seems like Nikon have made the decision to release new models between the trade shows to avoid going head-to-head with Canon and the others for attention from the press. What was the last major product introduced at a trade show? Have there been any since the D600 introduction at photokina 2012? I don't remember any since then.

charles76

charles76

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Site Supporter

I haven't seen or heard anything from Nikon regarding replacements for the D750 or D810. And nobody at Nikon is talking. No matter how much I bug them.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Given Nikon's current financial problems, I would not be surprised to see a delay in the D810's replacement.

However, since we're all bench racing here...

I'd also like to see a replacement that shares ergonomics with the D5/D500. The 8xx series cameras are professional and that should be reflected in their design. The popup flash should never have been included, so that should be among the first things to go. And, while everyone is expecting more megapixels, I'm not in that camp. Oh, maybe a few more megapixels for marketing purposes but the current sensor is far from shabby in it's output. I might tweak that a bit to improve dynamic range and reduce noise but otherwise, I wouldn't mess with it too much. I would expand the camera's electronics to both control next generation (SB-5000 style radio controlled) flashes that will be coming eventually, and provide better wireless communications for transferring files and controlling the camera.

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, d800, d810, d820, d850, d900, rumours