Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Creating a Watermark

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

I'm getting a bit tired of some of my Facebook friends downloading, cropping, adding text etc. to the photos that I share with them without asking me and/or crediting me for the photos. The only thing that I can think of is to add a watermark to my photos but we all know even that can be cropped out of a photo. So what I want to do is create a watermark that I can resize, angle, curve etc. to fit in a certain spot on my photo e.g. ball, eyeglasses, collar or even on a forehead if I have to  :P Anyone here know how to create a watermark that I can place anywhere on a photo? I don't have photoshop but I do have Pixelmator that I can use to create a watermark. 

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Well then create one at the maximum size on a transparent background in Pixelmator. Then open that document, import your photo to another layer, resize and move the watermark as desired, and export to jpeg, and don't save changes to the watermark document (so it will remain intact for the next usage).

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Thank you ScottinPollock and sorry for not replying sooner. I went to Unalakleet for a week to the regional basketball tournament where I took a few thousand photos that I have not completely sorted through yet. Anyway, i got as far as resizing and moving the watermark but I can't figure out how to curve the watermark and there are only drag points on the sides of the text box. Is there any way I can lock the width of the text and just widen it vertically? 

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

You can right-click the text layer in the Layers palette and choose 'convert into shape', which will allow you to expand either the width, height, or both (but the text will no longer be editable).

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Will that apply to curving or angling the watermark too?

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
Not sure what you mean by 'curving'... If you mean text on a path, I believe there is a mechanism for that in Pixelmator, but frankly I don't use it anymore as I much prefer Affinity Photo.

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Yes, that's what I mean exactly. I didn't know the term for it and thanks to you, I can look for a tutorial online. Can Affinity Photo create a watermark the way I want it?

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
Affinty Photo and Designer are true Adobe killers. At $50 a pop, and given the amazing free updates in the 1.x series, it's a no brainer. In your case, text on a path is only available in Designer (as with Adobe it is only available in Illustrator).