Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CF card images taken on D810 cannot be seen

cf card d810 d300

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

blondetown

blondetown

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I'm new here and have a problem I can't seem to find mentioned anywhere.  Today I took my old D300 to shoot some birds at Venice Rookery with a friend.  Lots of fellow photographers there and one very nice gentleman lent me an extra D810 he had with a 200-500mm lens attached and I used my extra CF card, a Lexar Professional 800x 8 GB UDMA 7.  I formatted it in the D810 and happily shot away, probably 50 or so frames, chimping occasionally to make sure all was well, and it was.  After returning the camera, he gave me my card back and I stashed it in my camera bag.  Later on the same day, I was running low on space on the card I had in my D300, so used the card I'd used on the D810 to take a few more frames.  Well, long story short, no shots from D810 showed up on playback on my D300 and on top of that, the images that should have been gone when formatted showed  up instead.  I get home, upload the card to LR4, no D810 images. Downloaded Capture NX-D to see if I could find the missing D810 images - no luck there.  Am really disappointed and trying to figure out what the heck happened.  I don't have or use Photoshop.  Obviously there is some conflict going on - is it a CF card problem or something to do with going from full frame to crop sensor?  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Do you use a card reader or the D300 to upload? The D300 doesn't handle non-D300 files at all, it just ignores them if I remember correctly. When you formatted the card in the D810, did you remember to press the buttons again when For started flashing in the display?

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Country Flag

How does the D810 format the CF card? Does it use FAT-32? As stated before: are you sure the D810 actually performed the format operation?

I suspect the D300 uses FAT-32.

This sounds like incompatibility between the formatting of the D810 and the D300. I would suspect that the D300 found and used it's prior formatting and kept adding files. It should have created a second directory under the DCIM directory on the card. When you mount the card under WINDOWS and open explorer: you should see a main directory, open it up.  Expand all directories under it to see what files are on the card.

A FORMAT command does not erase actual files on the card, it just marks the space as free. It might be possible that a lower-level recovery software application can find the missing files.

blondetown

blondetown

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Do you use a card reader or the D300 to upload? The D300 doesn't handle non-D300 files at all, it just ignores them if I remember correctly. When you formatted the card in the D810, did you remember to press the buttons again when For started flashing in the display?

Thank you.  It seems that the images went to the SD card instead of my CF card.  

How does the D810 format the CF card? Does it use FAT-32? As stated before: are you sure the D810 actually performed the format operation?

I suspect the D300 uses FAT-32.

This sounds like incompatibility between the formatting of the D810 and the D300. I would suspect that the D300 found and used it's prior formatting and kept adding files. It should have created a second directory under the DCIM directory on the card. When you mount the card under WINDOWS and open explorer: you should see a main directory, open it up.  Expand all directories under it to see what files are on the card.

A FORMAT command does not erase actual files on the card, it just marks the space as free. It might be possible that a lower-level recovery software application can find the missing files.

Thank you.  It seems that the images went to the SD card instead of my CF card.  

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Country Flag

I've done similar things with writing to the wrong Disk on embedded systems! Where's my Data! 

Happy that you found your pictures and the mystery is solved. I'm sure everyone will tuck this thread in the back of their minds for when pictures go missing!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cf card, d810, d300