Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Editing exercise, week ending Mar. 5 2017

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

First a message from this week's file submitter, dcbear78.

There is no message from dcbear78 to go with the file.

Dropbox file:

Dropbox - untitled-2-20160103.NEF - Simplify your life

And then the rules:

The exercise is weekly, a new thread with a new raw (preferably) or jpg fine file for each week.

The exercise officially runs until midnight between sunday and monday pst (UTC-8). Even after the official deadline, the exercise is still open for new interpretations.

This is a round-robin exercise, the order of submitting the week’s raw file is based on an alphabetical list of applicants’ user names. If the next submitter on the list is unable to post at his/her turn he/she may ask the thread master to be moved down the list no later than friday morning. Late applications will be added at the bottom of the list.

We will revise this when every applicant has had a go, and perhaps change this model.

The submitter for the week must make the file along with any specific text for the post available to the thread master during the weekend preceding the challenge week. The thread master will then copy the file to a Dropbox location for the challenge and make the starting post for the week.

The exercise is open to all members, not only the file submitters.

Images provided, as well as the images resulting from the exercise remain the sole property of the photographer who took them. Those participating in the editing exercise may not use or display the photo outside the exercise thread.

It is allowed to make derivative interpretations on other participants’ work (a collaborative approach). If you base your take on someone else’s work, you must indicate what you started from.

The owner of the photo comments on the work done, highlighting what he liked best (both the interpretation itself and the technique used to get there) after the original week is over.

As this exercise is a tool for learning and inspiration, multiple entries are not only ok, but encouraged if a participant gets a new idea for how to present or interpret the photo, including artistic interpretations.

Participants must share how they have achieved their take on the photo.

Participants are explicitly not limited as to what software is used for the exercise.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Excellent low light shot dcbear, I really like the composition.

In LR5 I started with lens correction then used auto upright, then proceeded down the edit column with a bit less shadow and a bit more yellow temp.  I also lightened the far end of the pier to show more of the pier. After I found the colors I was looking for i then converted to b/w via Topaz.  I ended up using a antique light filter as I thought it showcased the boardwalk a bit more.  For #3 I cropped beyond the bright light on the left , hopefully to showcase more of the length of the boardwalk.

Attached Thumbnails

• mar 5 edit chall-color.jpg
  • mar 5 edit chall-bw.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 12.43.49 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 12.43.28 PM.png
  • mar 5 edit chall-crop.jpg

Bart

Bart

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Country Flag

Really great perspective and evening atmosphere, dcbear.

I tried to enhance these two factors.

Contrary to Dean, I brought the image further into the evening  :)

I wanted to say I'm having some issues with my monitor. I haven't identified them yet but one of the symptoms is that I notice a kind of green cast in the blacks.

I just hope this didn't mess up my colours and tones in this exercise.

I used DxO with the camera-lens module and concentrated on light and perspective corrections.

p2227242925-5.jpgp2227242914-2.jpg

Result:

p2227244160-4.jpg

I took this to LR, added a grad filter a tried to remove the sign (without much succes) and some garbage at the foot of the lamp pole.

p2227671414-2.jpg

This time, I used Color Efex for the film emulation, Fuji Superia 200 and some added warmth

p2227242931-2.jpg

p2227242912-5.jpg

Silver Efex for a b&w conversion.

p2227242910-4.jpgp2227242948-3.jpg

p2227242908-5.jpg

I thought this might be a good candidate for Topaz Simplify so I gave it a try.

I found the applying step of a preset takes an enormous amount of time. Anyone else using Topaz notices this?

After the preset (basic cartoon) I used the tone curve to darken the result a bit:

p2227677412-5.jpg

Thanks, dcbear for lending us your image to work on.