Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should I get a D90

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

bbbmin

bbbmin

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi and thanks for helping on this forum.  I have a limited budget and want to step up from a Canon sx50.  It has limited manual capability and I have been looking at the D90.   I can get a used body for under 200 bucks and would have 300 for hopefully a decent lens.   I live in a rural area and like to shoot landscape, barns and such.  Also people, though not formal portraits.  I'm thinking in the range of 18-105 or thereabouts. I've seen some terrific pictures taken with the D90 and I'm not concerned with the megapixels.  Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any advice.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

A D90 is quite dated, but also quite cheap. It is easier to get good results with the later bodies but you can still do lots with the old 12 MP sensors.

Rather than the 18-105, you could look for a 16-85. The two mm wider makes a lot of difference.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

While one might argue the D90's shortcomings versus later models, I think it's a fantastic upgrade if you're on a budget. Coming from a point and shoot, any DSLR is a revelation. Heck, you'd probably have a great time with a D40.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Country Flag

Prices on the D200 and D300 are way down- and these will meter with older manual focus lenses. The manual focus lenses can be bought very inexpensively, like $10 to $20 for Kiron, Vivitar, Soligor, and the like.

KEH was a Bargain grade D300 with 180 day warranty:

http://www.ebay.com/...8oAAOSw4CFYtEZn

No connection with seller, other than spending a small fortune on camera equipment from them...