Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Took a few photos, looking for opinions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Camera N00b

Camera N00b

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa Ontario

So I had some objects laying around and was bored, decided to take some photos of my stuff, opinions would be appreciated.

Settings: Manual

for close ups and where only a portion is focused, it's f stop of 1.8 and for whole focus I used f stop 4-4.8

lighting is set to auto

shutter speed 1/200-1/250

ISO of 500

flash used SB400 and flash compensation was -1.5 - -2

I used 2 umbrella lights on L/R and had a white light ceiling light on, not directly above but the objects were back a little bit.

https://www.flickr.c...157678987074640

(all photos I am looking for opinions on, are in the flickr album)

Thank you!

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

For the small items, most look a little underexposed, and of course the shallow depth of field is disconcerting, and the backgrounds are a bit distracting. For shots like this consider getting a light box which will do wonders for the lighting (Neewer sells some nice ones for not a lot of money). As for keeping everything in focus, try F8 or higher, or consider focus stacking numerous exposures using a tripod.

For the guitar, I would have went with a contrasting backdrop to make it stand out, possibly even one that was much further away from the camera than the guitar to further isolate it from the background.

Camera N00b

Camera N00b

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa Ontario

Yeah, I was going for more of a classy backdrop with the guitar. For the pedals, yeah I did notice they were a bit underexposed..

Thank you!