Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Photos of Art question

to rotate or not

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Tim Fitz

Tim Fitz

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA

Hello

I am photographing my  art work for my website & selling prints and have a question. On paintings say 24" x 36" where 24" is the height & 36" is the width that isn't a problem shooting because that's how the viewfinder is set up. My question is what if the painting is painted where 36' is the height & 24" is the width. Is it best to turn the camera 90 degrees to take the photo or take the photo horizontal and crop it later?  What will I loose or gain

Thanks

Tim

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Turn the camera, it is always better the more pixels you have to work with. If you use a tripod, there is an accessory that makes it easy to flip the camera and still have it straight over the center of the tripod. It is called an L-plate and one can be found here

I should add that the D3300 with a 50 is light enough that there are no stability problems if you don't have the L-plate, it is just a matter of convenience.