Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Antique tea cup

antique vintage tea cup old d5500

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

emccarthy25

emccarthy25

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Country Flag

This photo is of an antique tea cup I saw at a local museum recently.

D5500

18-55mm kit lens @ 48mm

f5.3

1/80

I like the way the photo came out, but would like it more with more depth of field.  What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails

• TeaCup.jpg

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

It's a nice photo but yeah, it could benefit from a bit more depth of field. It's also just a tad soft. Did you use a tripod? I'm guessing no since you say this was in a museum.

I think, if you must hand hold the camera (and can't use flash) that I would bump the ISO up enough (or use AUTO ISO) so that you can shoot at between f/11 and  f/16 at no less than 125th of a second. Preferably f/11 because diffraction starts to rear it's ugly head beyond that point. However, if you must maximize depth of field then I'd use f/16. 

--Ron

emccarthy25

emccarthy25

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Country Flag

It's a nice photo but yeah, it could benefit from a bit more depth of field. It's also just a tad soft. Did you use a tripod? I'm guessing no since you say this was in a museum.

I think, if you must hand hold the camera (and can't use flash) that I would bump the ISO up enough (or use AUTO ISO) so that you can shoot at between f/11 and f/16 at no less than 125th of a second. Preferably f/11 because diffraction starts to rear it's ugly head beyond that point. However, if you must maximize depth of field then I'd use f/16.

--Ron

I'll be honest...I tend to forget to adjust the apature when I start taking photos. That said, while post processing on the photo doesn't show it, it was a tad on the dim side in there, which without a tripod doesn't lend itself to handholding a smaller apature. Maybe I would have been OK raising the exposure in post. I'll have to work on some better setting choices.

I would have liked to had a tripod with me, but it would be a bit awkward to bring in a museum. It almost seems like manual mode would have been a better choice, rather than apature priority.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  • Ron likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antique, vintage, tea, cup, old, d5500