Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Clean and sharp photos

aperture sharpness clean photos

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

desaiamarjeet

desaiamarjeet

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

This could be an open ended question with no definite answer, as far as my little knowledge is.

I own Nikon D3200 with Tamaron 150-600mm lens.

I think there is a lot of noise in the photo. Attached the same for review.

Following is the EXIF information:

f/6.3

1/200

ISO - 100

Aperture 5.3

600 mm

If I zoom in the click, there seems to be alot of noise.

Can you help me reduce this or some tips and tricks for optimum use for the combination of camera body and lens?

Thanks in advance.

Amarjeet.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0779(1).jpg

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
Do you shoot in raw or jpg?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What are your processing steps? As resampling for the reduced size for the web can mask artifacts, could you put a full-size sample up on Dropbox or similar with a link here so we can download it and see exactly what you see.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm seeing an ever so slight case of back focusing. The eyes or eye in this case should be the point of focus. However, compared to the feathers that are just above the bird's leg, the eye is a bit soft. This can make the whole photo seem out of focus. As I said though, the amount of back focus is very slight in this case.

As far as noise goes, well, from the image you posted it's really hard to detect an abnormal amount of noise. On that count, to me at least, the photo is acceptable.

I agree with Peter. It's really difficult to see what you're experiencing from a down sampled image. And, knowing your workflow would be a big help.

--Ron

Edit: I should have said, front focusing.

desaiamarjeet

desaiamarjeet

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

I have clicked them in NEF raw and here is the link to Google+. Hope you could download it.

Google Workspace Updates: New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents

Regards,

Amar.

desaiamarjeet

desaiamarjeet

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

And sorry to mention, I use ViewNX software provided with the Nikon product.

Also, I do not follow any particular process of editing the image. Should I, then please let me know.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Is it a crop from a larger frame or is it reduced in size to ~3.5 MP by you or by google? The full sensor output should be 6016x4000 pixels if I remember correctly, this is 2106x1659. What Picture Control did you use? Was it underexposed and you lifted it in post?

You won't get the most out of your lens wide open, it gains lots of contrast by closing down as little as 2/3 steps from open. 

Even if the lens is borderline handholdable @1/200 and 600 mm, the slightest wind ruffling the feathers will be too much as the VC can't compensate for subject movement. Don't be afraid of raising the ISO, you might even reduce noise if you shoot nearly overexposed and pull back in post.

If you need better noise reduction than provided in ViewNX or CaptureNX, Google NIK dFine is free and a part of the Google NIK suite. Another tool that is very useful in that suite is Sharpener PRO that will make it possible for you to sharpen with lots of control to compensate for the loss of contrast when you reduce size for the web.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aperture, sharpness, clean photos