Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AF-E and AF-L

back button focus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

desaiamarjeet

desaiamarjeet

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi All,

I have a problem here while taking photographs. If I am taking a photo with a focus on the edge of the subject due to low light, I tend to make the subject blur. Is there any way to use the AF-L button using D3200, specifically. Searched over the internet and tried myself also but failed. I need some step-by-step document/explanation of the process.

Thanks in advance.

A

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
The AE-L/AF-L can be assigned different behaviours - therefore you will need to identify first what behaviour it has been given.
In order to check, enter the camera's menu, then Tools and finally the Buttons settings.
I think that the D3200 proposes 5 behaviours, all linked to auto-exposure, auto-focus or a combination of the two.
The default behaviour should be that it locks the two, exposure and focussing, together.

Supposing it is on the default value (both auto exposure and auto focussing locking) the camera will lock (i.e. store, until the button is released) the best values for the composition at the moment it is pressed.

As you are mentioning that the issues mostly occur when you are working in low light, I would guess that there could be different reasons:
- the locked exposure requires a too long shutter speed, causing movements of the camera to to blur the picture
- the locked exposure (also) requires the aperture to be wide open, so that you have only a very low depth of field
- focussing requires some light for the camera to be able to properly focus (at max. aperture) - in very low light situations the camera might not be able to properly focus.

If you could provide a capture taken, including its EXIF data, then we might be able to better help you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: back button focus