Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Low Light Photo settings

low light photo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

denglish

denglish

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi there!

I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions. I am hoping to photograph the birth of my new grandchild so I would like to know what settings would be best. I have a Nikon D90 camera and for a lens I have an AF-S DX NIKKOR18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II. I would prefer not to use flash and plan on black and white photos.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Not knowing your lighting makes it hard to recommend settings. Auto ISO to a point is a good way to go, but D90 is not all that great above ISO 800.

Perhaps a good excuse to buy an f1.8 prime in 35mm or 50mm. They're pretty cheap and great lenses, especially the 50mm D.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As you intend for the output to be monochromes, the awful chroma noise above ISO 800 isn't that troublesome, and you can probably get away with ISO 3200. Test beforehand in light similar to what you will have to work with.

Getting a fastish prime is a good idea, another option is getting the non-VC Tamron 17-50/2.8. You will lose 1 1/3 steps compared to a f/1.8 prime, but you will have the versatility of the zoom and it is about a step faster than the 18-200 around 25-50 mm, which is the focal lengths you will probably want to use. The 17-50 works well on 12 MP, even if it isn't that great on modern 24 MP sensors.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

As you intend for the output to be monochromes, the awful chroma noise above ISO 800 isn't that troublesome

Good catch! I wasn't even thinking b&w.