Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

going to tampa bay renaissance festival but have question on lenses

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

not sure where to post so posted this here. 

2017 Dates: Weekends February 18 - April 2nd

they have this rule. so not sure if 70-300 will be to long for it. also want to know more on you people on what should i expect when show up with camera and lens. since new going out and taking pictures. wanted more info what i should expect from them. do not want to break any rules and know should expect from them. 

\

Any cameras with lenses over 12 inches must have prior approval from the marketing department to shoot photos on the Bay Area Renaissance Festival grounds.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm just guessing here but they likely want to keep ownership of any "professional grade" photos and the 12 inch rule is designed to help them do that. When you register with the marketing department they will likely have you sign an agreement to that effect. I know that at NASCAR racing events they automatically claim ownership of your images (except for personal use). It's printed right on the back of your ticket. You can take all the photos you want. You just can't sell them (without NASCAR's approval).

That said, and depending on what your intentions are and what other lenses you have at your disposal, I might be tempted to leave the 70-300 at home anyway. In a lot of these events, a normal to wide angle lens works better. For good light, I guess I would mount my AFS-18-35mm f/3.5-4.5(FX) on the camera and put my 24-120D f/3.5-5.6 in the bag... just in case.

If the light were poor I might take my 20mm f/1.8, my 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8. The 20mm would probably be the lens I would use the most. The 85mm for portraits and the fifty would probably spend most of it's time in the bag.

--Ron

PS... I just looked at their site. Yep, they want to keep the rights to ANY media resulting from their event.

Film & Photo Rights

All film rights are reserved. Commercial use of photos, videos or audio tapes made at the festival without written permission from the marketing department is strictly prohibited. Any cameras with lenses over 12 inches must have prior approval from the marketing department to shoot photos on the Bay Area Renaissance Festival grounds. If you have any questions, please call 813-983-0111.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you want to use your 70-300 and it is bordering on 12", call them and explain that you are a hobbyist but would like to have permission to use your tele zoom. They will probably just send over an application form and when they get that some sort of badge that shows that you have permission to shoot if it works anything like it does here in Europe. 

I agree with Ron that shorter focal lengths usually work better for events like these, but some tele captures can be nice to have as well.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

What lenses do you have, and are you planning on only taking what you have or do you plan on renting a lens or two for the event?

If you have a 24-70mm, I'd recommend that one.  Those are great all around lenses, they have good range, good speed, and they will fit under the event's lens length rule without approval (and that is with the lens hood attached). 

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Country Flag

Good time for a Mirror lens...

I wonder if they are also concerned about people getting hit with long lenses. I know of places that ban use of tripods (and Bipods) as they have had people trip over them.

best to call ahead.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
Just tell them your 300mm lens is fine as the equivalent focal length in inches is 11.81!

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid
Longer than 12" is a very odd rule. I struggle to imagine what the supposed advantage to the event is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Longer than 12" is a very odd rule. I struggle to imagine what the supposed advantage to the event is.

I think it's deliberately ambiguous and doesn't really have any bearing. As I'm sure you know, it's very easy to have a lens go over 12 inches even if the lens is a fairly short focal length. Also, many lenses "grow" as you zoom them. A lens that might be under the 12" limit at one end of it's focal length, might be well over 12" at the other end. Also, are they including lens shades in their equation? 

The whole thing was concocted to allow the organizers to control the creation of media. Their statement which I copied and pasted at the end of my first comment on this thread really says it all. 

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

sorry about get late on this topic. but computer did not like me using forums on Tuesday. here more info on it 

All film rights are reserved. Commercial use of photos, videos or audio tapes made at the festival without written permission from the marketing department is strictly prohibited. Any cameras with lenses over 12 inches must have prior approval from the marketing department to shoot photos on the Bay Area Renaissance Festival grounds

i kind get where coming from. but was not sure what expect from it that why ask you guys.

also all i have for lenses are these so looks like 70-300 no go but other 3 still 

35mm 
50mm 
18-55mm
70-300mm

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

If you're really set on going I guess I would contact them beforehand and tell them exactly what your plans are. Tell them what lenses you want to take and how you plan to use the images you take. Don't be surprised if they tell you to report to a booth upon arriving and sign an agreement not to use the images you take for commercial purposes. They may even have restrictions on sharing photos to social network sites like Facebook or Twitter since it's easy for someone to download images from there... even if you have image downloading turned off.

And, if you decide to just show up with your gear, don't be surprised if someone from marketing comes up to you and asks for credentials.

The weird thing is that there will probably be thousands of people there with smartphones snapping away and immediately sharing photos with Facebook, Twitter and who knows what all. They won't be bothered even though current smartphones are capable of taking pretty darn good photos.

Anyway... that's my take on this. Hopefully, they're just blowing smoke about DSLR's with big lenses. The only way to know for sure is to either call them or show up with your gear.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how this turns out.

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

will show up with camera bag and might have someone i know to me. he want to take pictures too. so will have to get hold of other person to spread the word to him other person i can get hold of her and tell her what deal. 

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

In Australia the limitation is 200mm. No focal lengths longer than that are allowed in any major event.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have seen some really strange limitations. For example: no motor drives or vertical grips, no filter diameter over 72 mm, no SLR-s, no ILC-s and different limits on focal length for different events.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

I have seen some really strange limitations. For example: no motor drives or vertical grips, no filter diameter over 72 mm, no SLR-s, no ILC-s and different limits on focal length for different events.

Some of those are really dumb, but I can sort of imagine why they might have sounded like a good idea at the time.

Twelves inches sounds like somebody confused weapons regulations with camera regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Considering you can get a 500mm mirror lens that's only about 5" long it does seem a little silly.