Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

All Around Lens for D80

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

GerryZ

GerryZ

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

I owe a Nikon D80 and would like to upgrade my kit lens Nikkor 18-135mm for a better all around lens. I've been looking at the Nikon AF-S DX VR II Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED but not sure it fits my 10 year older camera.

Can somebody confirm it does or recommend another good quality all around lens for my D80. I mostly shoot urban and nature.

Thanks

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

In general the higher the zoom ratio, the poorer the image quality. So  18-200 is likely to be worse than your 18-135.

I've read glowing reports about the 16-80/f2.8-4 for image quality.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you absolutely want a superzoom, the 18-300 f/3.5-6.3 is the best of them. It has even bigger zoom range, but it is a 5 years newer design than the latest version of the 18-200, which more than compensates for the inherent lower quality that comes with greater range. 

If you can run a two-lens set, the 16-80 that Russ mentioned is currently the best DX normal zoom and if you get a 70-200/4 to go with it, you will have the same coverage at the tele end, but 2 mm wider at the wide end compared to the 18-200.