Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Whitebalance Auto vs Manual

manual whitebalance auto

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

TheKegsi

TheKegsi

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
D3400: Using Kit lense
When I take two pictures of the same thing, one in auto (no flash) and the other in manual mode, the white balance of the picture taken in manual mode is not as good.

I have ensured that aperature, shutter speed and iso settings are identical for both shots.
I also have the following setting in manual mode 
Auto servo AF,
Auto Area AF,
Matrix metering
Auto white balance 
& Standard for Picture control mode.

Inspite of this pictures taken by manual mode appear more warm and or saturated?

Is it possible in manual mode to achieve the white balance I get when using auto mode?

Thanks!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Could you put up examples with the EXIF intact for us to analyze? This would make it easier to help out for those of us who don't have a D3400 to see if we can replicate the results you describe.

dem

dem

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag

Not familiar with D3400 but most likely that the Auto mode is not only adjusting exposure parameters but is also changing JPEG rendering settings depending on the "Scene mode" it automatically selects, e.g. "Portrait", "Beach", "Landscape", "Snow" etc... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: manual, whitebalance, auto