Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trouble with Nikon shutter remotes! Help!

ml-l3 mc-dc2 nikon nikon d3400

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Lixx

Lixx

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Man i'm having a hell of a time with remotes. I bought a Nikon ML-L3 wireless remote for my Nikon D3400. I was all excited to try and take long exposure pics of some clouds. Got my tripod set up and my neutral density filter on. Tried pointing at the infra red sensor and it would not release the shutter- I'm in the right mode Manual- bulb. Also set the remote control release for quick response. Brought the camera inside to see what I was doing wrong (figured it might be the sun interferring with the infra red sensor) and tried just holding the camera and pointing the remote at the sensor -it worked once or twice but never again since.

Pulled the battery out and tested it -the battery is great. I'm so frustrated this stupid ML-L3 remote won't work. Got my money back (Adorama were super cool they said just keep it) and I ordered a Nikon MC-DC2 because at least the corded remote would release the shutter no? Well B & H never listed the D3400 as not compatible because it doesn't have a accessory terminal!  I could find nowhere online saying it would not work. So now I have to process a return on that! Wish I saw this beforehand:

Need Shutter/Cable Release/Remote for Nikon D3400 - NikonForums.com Support and Suggestions - NikonForums.com

So basically now I have no options and will never be able to do long exposures because there is no remote that will work with the D3400 to release the damn shutter! So ridiculous. I'm not selling my new camera because I like it but I don't see any other choice to take long exposures. I bought loads of filters and was planning to do city nightscapes in Seattle in April. The ML-L3 wireless is a piece of crap. I read online some used a piece of paper to complete the connection but it did not work with mine.

Any advice? Does this have anything to do with me setting my Nikon D3400 to back button focus?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

To make long exposures without a remote, you can use the Time (--) setting and hold a piece of black posterboard covering the lens for the first and last seconds of the exposure so vibrations from pressing the shutter release don't affect the photo. 

What is your setting for the IR-port power off? If that is set too short, the camera stops listening for signal from the remote too soon.

Lixx

Lixx

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

To make long exposures without a remote, you can use the Time (--) setting and hold a piece of black posterboard covering the lens for the first and last seconds of the exposure so vibrations from pressing the shutter release don't affect the photo. 

What is your setting for the IR-port power off? If that is set too short, the camera stops listening for signal from the remote too soon.

Thanks Peter. So there is a setting for the IR port power? Wow I did not know that. I tried looking that up in the manual and didn't see anything. Where is that on the D3400? I'll go pull my camera out and try looking for it now.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Check page 208 in the manual.

Lixx

Lixx

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

OK yeah i had set the self timer delay to 2 seconds, number of shots 1, and the duration for looking for signal to 1 minute. Basically the minimums for everything. Strangely I pulled the remote out again, cleaned off the infra red sensor on my camera, set to manaual bulb, held the camera in my palm, hit the back button focus- selected shutter release to quick response AND the thing was firing away properly this morning.

I changed none of these settings so I'm not sure why it was not working the other day. Perhaps the full day sun was interferring with the infra red signal when I tried using the neutral density filter? Or maybe my sensor was just dirty. Sigh of relief for now but hopefully it will work in the day for long exposures or night for the same thing.

Lixx

Lixx

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

So I'm still having issue with the Nikon ML L3 remote and it firing my shutter on my D3400. Specifically for daytime long exposures using neutral density filters. I set the camera for manual and time (--), set my self timer release for quick response and nothing it will not release the shutter. Battery is fine on both and fully charged. Not sure why this remote rarely works. Any advice?

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

Any advice?

I'm guessing your camera is set to auto focus and can't through the ND filters. Try manual focus.

Lixx

Lixx

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Hmm interesting. I use back button focus and I usually would compose the shot- then attach the ND filter(s) (I have a 10 stop and 6 stop Hoya). I didn't think the auto focus would matter regarding the remote control shutter release but I guess you're saying that even after composing and attaching the filter- the camera with my set up of back button focus (which is still auto focus) is still trying to re-focus, thus preventign the remote from working?

So basically turn off auto focus altogether and set it to manual and my remote should release the shutter in time mode?

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
If the camera achieves focus via the back button (i.e. the green LED in the lower left corner of the viewfinder is lit solid), it will not try to refocus when the shutter is released.

But if that LED is not permanently lit, it will.

Lixx

Lixx

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

If the camera achieves focus via the back button (i.e. the green LED in the lower left corner of the viewfinder is lit solid), it will not try to refocus when the shutter is released.

But if that LED is not permanently lit, it will.

Sorry for the late reply was sick for a little bit there. So yes, I just checked my Nikon D3400 and no the green LED dot in the lower left hand corner does NOT stay solid. So I hit the info button and yes even though it is set for back button focus the mode is still AF-C.

So let me make sure I understand this correctly: If I switch that to MF mode, keep the remote release to quick response, set up my tripod, compose my shot, screw on my ND filters, and make sure my setting is for time (--) in manual mode- my Nikon ML-L3 remote will then work and release the shutter?

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes. But you should be able to use AF-S focus mode as well as Manual (AF-S should stick so long as you get an initial focus lock with it).

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

I have issues with my 3rd party wireless remote. When I use my remote, I must set the back-button focus to OFF (or any other setting other than focus) and only have the main focus / shutter release button active otherwise the remote will not focus the lens. It's a pain for me to do this each time I use my remote, but that seems to be the way it is for my particular remote on my D610.

Maybe you could try disabling the back-button focus and ensure that this is not causing the same issue as it does with me?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ml-l3, mc-dc2, nikon, nikon d3400