Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Computer-controlling

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Hi lads and lass'

Today I was introduces to NIKON Camera Control Pro 2, this isnt exactly freeware, and I was thinking, are there other products out there that can do pretty much the same?

My crazy idea is using such software for product pictures, actually paring it up with a engine controlled tripod head would be pretty awesome.....

Any advice?

Also on where to get a relatively cheap head for tripod for the given purpose... :)

Cheers

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
I've always found Nikon software to kinda, well... suck, so I would never pay for it.

I've used qDSLR Dashboard in the past and it has worked just fine, although the UI is a little clunky.

As for power P/T heads... you're on your own there as I have never used one.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,637 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you want to have 3-axis control and the ability to mount the D800 with a ~1 kg lens without resonances, be prepared to pay for it. A cognisys system is over $1800. This is without a gimbal mount, so if you want to do gigapanos, there will be more expenses. Most of the cheaper solutions either aren't sturdy enough or can't be computer controlled so you need to program all movements on the head itself.

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

I've always found Nikon software to kinda, well... suck, so I would never pay for it.

I've used qDSLR Dashboard in the past and it has worked just fine, although the UI is a little clunky.

As for power P/T heads... you're on your own there as I have never used one.

Tried the software, but couldnt get it running :-/

If you want to have 3-axis control and the ability to mount the D800 with a ~1 kg lens without resonances, be prepared to pay for it. A cognisys system is over $1800. This is without a gimbal mount, so if you want to do gigapanos, there will be more expenses. Most of the cheaper solutions either aren't sturdy enough or can't be computer controlled so you need to program all movements on the head itself.

Auch, thats out of my budget, so manfrotto with micro adjustment is still the better option at the price, as in its not within my budget, I was thinking ~3-500 Euro.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

Tried the software, but couldnt get it running :-/

Did you try over wifi or USB? What camera?

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Did you try over wifi or USB? What camera?

Launching the software in windows 10 64bit, Visual C++ in the files installs but still won't launch

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

Launching the software in windows 10 64bit, Visual C++ in the files installs but still won't launch

Sorry... can't help. My use was on a Mac.

Gasman

Gasman

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
ControlMyNikon is excellent for controlling Nikon dslr's although no idea about controlling the tripod head!
Steve

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

ControlMyNikon is excellent for controlling Nikon dslr's although no idea about controlling the tripod head!
Steve

Sweet!
Very reasonable price, will download and do trial next time I do product shots, then I will likely purchase.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

I have a Camranger. It's like qDSLR Dashboard without the clunky user interface and works perfectly. Also comes with the wifi adapter. Not free but that's what you get for software/hardware that just works perfectly. I use it mostly for client previews as I am shooting, but it has many other uses.