Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

d5200 Flash Options

d5200 flash speedlight sb700 options menu overexposure ttl

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to use my new SB700 speedlight off-camera. I won't be buying a radio trigger, so I have to use my on-camera flash as a trigger. 1/200 is the fastest shutter speed available when using on-camera flash. The on-camera flash is overpowering the subject, that is i'm getting sever over-exposure.

Looking at tutorials, I see instructors going to Menu Option e1 "Flash control for built in flash". A number of options are available, including using on-camera flash in trigger only mode (is this the same as "command mode"). In this mode, the on-camera flash emits only enough light to trigger the remote flash, but not enough to have much effect on the exposure. However, when I go to the same sub-menu (e1: Flash control for built-in flash). I have only two options: TTL or Manual. No matter which setting I use, on-camera flash is washing out my subject.

In short, how can I shoot with my d5200 using the sb700 remotely without triggering on-camera flash? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best, Diesel Dave 

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I've never used this but it is, apparently, Nikon's solution to your problem.

Nikon SG-3IR Panel

Nikon_4905_SG_3IR_IR_Panel_for_123296026

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You can use the SB-700 in manual with the SU-4 mode to trigger it, but the D5200 doesn't support using the pop-up flash as master for CLS. If the distance you need isn't too great, wired off-camera flash works well, and a SC-29 cable or a copy isn't *that* expensive. If you stumble upon a used SU-800, it will work with CLS, just like if you had a D7x00 upwards body. There are apparently TTL radio triggers on ebay that work well and don't break the bank, but I haven't used any of them as I tend to use either IR-triggered CLS or a radio link for my manual studio strobes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d5200, flash, speedlight, sb700, options, menu, overexposure, ttl