Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mildew removal

mildew sensor clean replace

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Alison S

Alison S

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi

I live in a sub-tropical climate. Bought a second-hand D7000 last September.  Just sent it to be assessed as I had a "hair" inside the lens. I Now also have "spots" on my photos.  Advice received is to replace all affected parts in the body and lens which equals what I paid for the camera!! Any advice most welcome on mildew removal and whether the only solution is to replace the parts?

Thanks

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Can you identify whether it is the lens or the camera (spots on the sensor)?

Best is to have the following been done by a professional shop, but it is also possible to do it yourself, if you feel comfortable with it (and are willed to take a smaller risk)

If the spots are on the sensor you may get a kit for dry and wet cleaning set (f.i. on amazon). For finding out how to do you may google "youtube d7000 sensor cleaning"

Also check the rear and front parts of your lens. If the problem is inside the lens (you may find out while removing the lens from the camera and looking through the glass) then it becomes a totally different story, but would only need replacing the lens.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Unfortunately, sensor fungus usually grows between the sensor and the low-pass filter and is nearly impossible to clean. The same goes for a lens, the spores thrive inside the lens where it is difficult to clean. Fungus can sometimes be killed off with a strong UV light source, but the etching that has damaged the glass surfaces will remain. To avoid fungus in the future, store all equipment with silica packs to keep humidity down and use everything as much as possible as all exposure to UV light will protect your camera and lenses.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mildew, sensor, clean, replace