Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

d5300 with 35mm 1,8g focusing issue

5300 35mm issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

MarkoSI

MarkoSI

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello,

i have a severe backfocsing problem when i pair my d5300 with a nikon 35mm 1,8g lens. The problem is that if i focus from about 2m, on the eye (center focus point, no recomp.) the focus is about 10-15 cm behind the eye - on the ears or behind those. The aperture set to 1,8-2,8 - all the same.

If i focus from like 40cm the focus os off for about 5-7mm.

After checking about 100 pics - like 5 were OK, all the others were useless.

I tested it on a flat chart - all goes OK, i guess. But i do not usually shoot charts and in perfect conditions. I need a fast lens for indoor pics of kids that are not stationary at all :)

I alread tested 2 lenses, both of them have the same problem.

However i have no problem with my 18-55 VR2 kit lens (i know ... greater DoF and so on).

I was told by a nikon service that i can get my body adjusted (no micro AF adj in the camera itself), but that will affect all my other lenses - so this is utter nonsense...

So what can i do?

My toughts after dealing with this issue for 2 months, to ditch the nikon and get a different brand, or a higher level Nikon. But the 5300 suits me well, and i do not need anything more epencive, and i am completely satisfied with all the options the 5300 offers me.

What other fast lenses could you recommend (in that price segment)? Or do you hav any other ideas what to do.

Many thanks to anyone that is willing to take a sec and answer me.

Regards,

Marko

MarkoSI

MarkoSI

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello,

i have a severe backfocsing problem when i pair my d5300 with a nikon 35mm 1,8g lens. The problem is that if i focus from about 2m, on the eye (center focus point, no recomp.) the focus is about 10-15 cm behind the eye - on the ears or behind those. The aperture set to 1,8-2,8 - all the same.

If i focus from like 40cm the focus os off for about 5-7mm.

After checking about 100 pics - like 5 were OK, all the others were useless.

I tested it on a flat chart - all goes OK, i guess. But i do not usually shoot charts and in perfect conditions. I need a fast lens for indoor pics of kids that are not stationary at all :)

I alread tested 2 lenses, both of them have the same problem.

However i have no problem with my 18-55 VR2 kit lens (i know ... greater DoF and so on).

I was told by a nikon service that i can get my body adjusted (no micro AF adj in the camera itself), but that will affect all my other lenses - so this is utter nonsense...

So what can i do?

My toughts after dealing with this issue for 2 months, to ditch the nikon and get a different brand, or a higher level Nikon. But the 5300 suits me well, and i do not need anything more epencive, and i am completely satisfied with all the options the 5300 offers me.

What other fast lenses could you recommend (in that price segment)? Or do you hav any other ideas what to do.

Many thanks to anyone that is willing to take a sec and answer me.

Regards,

Marko

Has anybody any ideas?

Than you in advance.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Photography requires finetuned and well calibrated settings for the camera and the lens. But these have all a normalized/factory value which the two pieces of equipment need to respect.

Based on your description above, with two lenses being equally out of focus when wide open - and therefore having a low DOF - it sounds to me that there is a misadjustment in the camera. On the kit lens this could be compensated by the deeper DOF, so be equally misadjusted, but not visible.

If Nikon offers therefor to microadjust the camera this just sounds fine to me. That there is an impact also on other lenses is just normal, but - unless both the camera and the lens are misadjusted - this should bring the camera adjustment back to the factory calibration setting, allowing for all lenses to work.

But that's just my 2 cents, based on what I read from your message.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 5300, 35mm, issues