Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AF Nikkor 300mm f4 IF-ED

lens loose screws remove front element

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Hi,

I recently bought, for a fairly reasonable price, an AF Nikkor 300mm f4 IF-ED (the early body-focus one, not the AF-S version). It's a terrific lens and I'd highly recommend it but it has developed a problem...

Today, after a little outing, I noticed that the objective glass end of it had started to wobble on the barrel. After further investigation it became apparent that three screws which hold the front section of the barrel to the rear section of the barrel, have come loose (you can see them if you look into the lens from the objective end). At this point, I have no idea why.

What I would LIKE to do is strip out the front element and tighten the three screws, using a bit of Loctite, and put it back together...

So, (a) Has anyone done this repair? (B) Has anyone got a repair manual for this lens? (I've looked in the usual places to no avail). ( c ) Most importantly, does anyone know whether the front element/group screws in against a hard stop or does it need to be adjusted in some way when it's reassembled?

Any info will be most gratefully received!

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

UPDATE

The lens has been returned to the shop I got it from. They're going to get it repaired and try to get the guy they're selling it for to refund them. Fingers crossed. The downside is I won't get it back for about ten days.

I'd still be interested in the answers to my questions though...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I haven't had to do that repair on one of those, but they usually need to go in a collimator to check that nothing has moved even if you can get lucky and put things together right. Besides that, there should never be loctite on any of these screws, they should be locked with a dab of locking varnish on the head instead, if anything at all.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I haven't had to do that repair on one of those, but they usually need to go in a collimator to check that nothing has moved even if you can get lucky and put things together right. Besides that, there should never be loctite on any of these screws, they should be locked with a dab of locking varnish on the head instead, if anything at all.

Thanks for that. It's rather as I suspected. The shop uses a local technician and hopefully he'll be able to repair it - it's a lovely lens.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I had an email today to inform me that the local technician doesn't want to attempt the job. I think he probably fears what I feared - that someone had had a go at it themselves. Anyway, I'm getting my money back. It's a pity because I really liked the lens.

Apparently the former owner wants it back  and he's going to repair it himself. The serial number is 202007 - just in case you get offered a cheap 300mm f4 IF-ED...

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Further email suggests that the guy is going to repair it himself. I've held back from asking for my refund… If he manages to get it done, I think I will go and test it very thoroughly and, if it's okay, I'll keep it.

Stupid, I know, but I REALLY liked that lens. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lens, loose screws, remove front element