Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

nikon 50mm or nikon 35mm which one better

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

just want to see what this board says about this. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That depends on what you want to use it for. As you use a DX body, the 35 will give the field of view we associate with a "normal" lens on film or FX, that is to say, a 50 mm. The 50 on the other hand will look like you had used a 75 mm lens on the larger format. 

They are both good lenses if you mean the f/1.8 AF-S versions but are suited to different tasks. The 35 is a good walkaround lens and works well for documentary and street photography, for example. The 50 is more suited to formal portraiture as you get a more natural perspective when you take a step or two back. If you stick with photography, you will probably want to have both sooner or later.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

thanks i will look into get 50mm since takes better portraiture pictures.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I use my 50mm on a full frame D610 more than any other lens I own. That would be the equivalent of a 35mm on a DX Nikon body.

The second most used is my 85mm, which is close to the 50mm DX. I find I can get decent portraits of people with both lenses, but the advantage of the longer lens is in the distance you can put between yourself and your subject. The farther away you can get, the more relaxed your subject will become thus giving a more natural portrait, in theory.

The advantage of the shorter lens is that it can also be used for landscapes and architectural shots a bit more easily.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I don't think either are better - it's a question of which one is more appropriate or, even more importantly, which one you like better.

I've always preferred 50mm (I use a full-frame currently), I've tried 35mm in the past and I've tried to like it but it just doesn't suit me as a focal length. I used a 50/1.8 AF-D for ages (it started on my old F5) and I've recently changed to a 50/1.4 AF-S. The AF-S focuses slower but it does so very accurately and the colour rendition, which is never mentioned in reviews, is nicer.

I tend to buy lenses second-hand, off eBay. That way, if I don't get on with them, I can sell them on for little or no loss.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

well i took couple shoots from nikon 50mm lens and i like better then 35mm for taking portraiture pictures. and quality way better too. i will keep 35mm for awhile or sell to get cash back for it. i might know someone that might want it.f