Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I am looking for a 70-200 F/2.8 lens for my d3300. Any idea what will work?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

CheerDad

CheerDad

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi

I am new to photography and bought a D3300 kit from a local big box store. IT is much better than what I had but I am shooting my daughter's Cheer Competition and am in low light with fast moving subjects. Many of the Cheer Photographers have said they use a 70-200mm F/2.8. I am looking at used Sigma and Tamron lenses but want to make sure they will work properly with my camera. Can anyone help clear this up? Thanks

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
The basic answer is lIkely YES, they will work (provided obviously that they are the versions adapted for Nikon).

I have myself used the Tamron 70-200/2.8 AF Di VC USD on a D5100 and that worked fine.

The more nuanced answer is that there are different models of 70-200/2.8 lenses which may differ in quality.

Also, for the autofocus to work, the lens needs to have its own motor if used on a D3xxx or D5xxx. Most recent lenses for the above specs do have it - but to be a 100% sure about your choice, feel free to post the exact reference of the lensmodel before buying.

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
They'll work. If possible, borrow a lens and use it for a bit before buying. Of course, if you know someone that has one.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

CheerDad

CheerDad

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

The basic answer is lIkely YES, they will work (provided obviously that they are the versions adapted for Nikon).

I have myself used the Tamron 70-200/2.8 AF Di VC USD on a D5100 and that worked fine.

The more nuanced answer is that there are different models of 70-200/2.8 lenses which may differ in quality.

Also, for the autofocus to work, the lens needs to have its own motor if used on a D3xxx or D5xxx. Most recent lenses for the above specs do have it - but to be a 100% sure about your choice, feel free to post the exact reference of the lensmodel before buying.

Jerry_

I am considering these 2 below.

Sigma EX 70-200 f/2.8 II macro HSM APO DG and Tamron SP A001 70-200mm f/2.8 LD AF IF Di Lens

Thanks

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

They are both from the era just before both manufacturers raised their quality level considerably. The Tamron is quite soft without any bite or contrast, the Sigma is a bit better optically. They both work with your camera but need stopping down a bit to be considered sharp. If you could swing it, the VC or OS versions are very much better lenses, not for the stabilization which won't help with subject movement, but for their higher optical quality.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

And in many gyms, you are going to need to shoot at 2.8 and high ISO to get a high enough shutter speed to stop movement.  In those situations, you won't really be able to stop down to improve the sharpness.  I've shot with the more recent Tamron and I'm sure both are excellent lenses but they are not as quick to focus as the Nikon versions, but they are quite a bit less expensive...

Your choice in lens really depends on where you are shooting from and the images you are trying to achieve.  I've gotten some excellent images sitting at the edge of the floor with a 24-70 (also f2.8) and some nice "whole team" shots with it further away.  I've shot cheer competitions with everything from the 24-70 through my 200-400 (top of gym shots).  There is really no need to consider the longer lens 99%+ of the time but I had it available and used it for some special shots I wanted to get.  It normally stays home for indoor events although it becomes my primary lens for outdoor sports.  

If outdoor for football games, the 70-200 will work well from the stands and the 24-70 is excellent again when you are up close.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
Welcome to the expensive world of photography!

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

I believe any currently sold Nikon-compatible 70-200mm will offer full functionality with your D3300.

My sister was in a similar position to you a few years ago (her daughter played soccer) and I found her a excellent condition second hand Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8. The only complaint I would level at that lens is that for portrait shots it had a bit of backfocus, but this wasn't an issue for sporty shots. Also, the thing survived a drop that shattered the filter, so pretty good workmanship.