Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tamron ebay lens. Keep it or not

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

I finally received the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC that I bought on ebay. The first thing I noticed, right after mounting it on my D750, was the front cap was a bit hard to come off the lens. After checking to see if the zooming and autofocus were working fine, they were but it might be back focussing just a bit, I looked closer at the front lens cap to see if there was something that made it a bit hard in removing from the lens. I found a part of it broken along with the plastic piece around the front lens loose, broken and bent a bit. The eBay "Used" listing didn't say it had any faults, just a short description saying it was used a few days and that "it was in like new and perfect working condition". Other than that, it seems to be working fine but I didn't go out to test it out some more, due to a storm/flood warning here. Would you keep this lens or not?

Photos of the cap and lens here at Flickr.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Based on the information that you provided, I would not keep it.  If the seller advertised it as being in better condition than that and without damage, I would start the dispute process about it.  I would contact the seller and tell them that the condition of the lens is unacceptable to me, especially considering they listed it as "like new and perfect working condition".  They might say that it was damaged in shipping, but from your pictures, that doesn't look like shipping damage.  (They might not give you any conflict at all).  But I would approach the seller first and claim a grieve status.  If they don't want to work with you, I would start the formal dispute process with eBay.    

Based on the information that you provided, that is what I would do per your question.  

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

Doesn't look like new to me.  From the pictures it looks like it may have been dropped or taken a hit from the side.  I'd start by talking to the seller to try to resolve it, if that doesn't work then start the Ebay process.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I wouldn't keep it either. 

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Sent the seller a message asking for a refund, even though they don't accept returns, along with the shipping fee. Hopefully it will be resolved without any problems. I was really stoked in getting this lens to compliment my 70-200 2.8 VC lens for use in the upcoming basketball season. Thanks for all your feed back. Will let you know what the seller says.

esrandall

esrandall

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSumner, WA

Sent the seller a message asking for a refund, even though they don't accept returns, along with the shipping fee. Hopefully it will be resolved without any problems. I was really stoked in getting this lens to compliment my 70-200 2.8 VC lens for use in the upcoming basketball season. Thanks for all your feed back. Will let you know what the seller says.

Definitely the way to handle it.  Most sellers are protective of their feedback, and eBay is really slanted towards the buyer from a protection standpoint (a good thing) so they will be refunding you whether they want to or not.  Even if it's a damage during shipping issue, the seller is on the hook to do all of the legwork.  I've found this out the hard way when selling on eBay, and something got lost in the mail, even when it happens in another country.  Bottom line, you'll have some delay here, but it should work out for you.  I'm really happy with my 24-70 VC, so hope you enjoy your next one :)

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

No reply from the seller yet. How long does one wait before opening a dispute?

The curious side of me is wondering how the hell it got broken in the first place. I don't think it's from shipping because the box it came in, original Tamron box wrapped in brown paper, looks fine other than a couple corners squished very slightly. There are no marks anywhere on the lens hood, or part of the lens barrel where you attach the hood, on the filter threads and the side of the lens cap with the Tamron name on it. It seems like the cap slipped while the owner was placing it on the lens but it would take some amount of force to create that much damage, especially to plastic, unless the plastic is cheap to begin with. Odd..

esrandall

esrandall

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSumner, WA

No reply from the seller yet. How long does one wait before opening a dispute?

The curious side of me is wondering how the hell it got broken in the first place. I don't think it's from shipping because the box it came in, original Tamron box wrapped in brown paper, looks fine other than a couple corners squished very slightly. There are no marks anywhere on the lens hood, or part of the lens barrel where you attach the hood, on the filter threads and the side of the lens cap with the Tamron name on it. It seems like the cap slipped while the owner was placing it on the lens but it would take some amount of force to create that much damage, especially to plastic, unless the plastic is cheap to begin with. Odd..

That's a lot of money, and everyone gets email on their phone/is near a PC, so I give them 24 hours to respond.  No response = starting a ticket.  The longer you wait, the longer it takes to get the process going.  24 hours is fair.  After that, it becomes a matter of how long you want to wait.  I wouldn't wait.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

In the old days, some not so scrupulous sellers would ignore complaints ad nauseum in the hope that the unlucky buyer would give up trying. This is one of the things that turned me off towards Ebay. I don't know how things are today but I would encourage you to be persistent, starting immediately. Then keep complaining until the situation is resolved to your liking. Remember, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. 

--Ron

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Finally received a reply from the seller after sending an email to his PayPal address. Of course he said it was in perfect condition when he shipped it out, the photos in his ad on eBay showed no damage, but it's hard for me to believe it was caused by the postal shipper as he claimed when there is no major damage to the Tamron box he shipped it in. He also thought the lens I received/have was not the one he sent because his was made in Japan and one of the photos I showed him had made in Philippines. I sent him photos of the box, lens hood (made in Philippines) and the lens (made in Japan along with one other showing the serial number of the lens. I'll give him another day to see what he comes up with before opening a dispute.

31978943616_056116ca82_b.jpg

31978950926_23988f7a34_b.jpg

31978956636_9c79bc18ba_b.jpg

32016978985_14bf4c3131_b.jpg

esrandall

esrandall

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSumner, WA

Sounds like he's trying to suggest you're showing him a different lens.  You know that isn't the case, so starting to go the BS route IMO.  give him that time, and then go straight to dispute if he starts dragging things out, asking ridiculous questions, or demanding pictures, etc.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Yep, sounds that way to me too... he sent a bad lens and now he's suggesting that it's somebody else's fault.

--Ron

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

So, it does't sound like the seller wants to give me a refund at this point. We've been going back and forth through eBay messages and it's getting nowhere. I thought I started an eBay dispute through PayPal, but when I click through the options I get to a "Return Request" page on eBay and nothing else after. This being my first dispute, is this how the process starts?

esrandall

esrandall

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSumner, WA
You'll need to do it through eBay. I'm not in front of a PC right now, and don't remember the buttons to hit, but it's not too hard to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
No. Do it through PayPal. Do it asap. They will withdraw the funds back from the seller immediately. Buyer has a lot of protection through them.

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

I did go through PayPal. This is the only option there that I seen when I opened the transaction details for the lens I bought.

"Need help? First contact the seller through eBay to try resolving the problem. If it's still not resolved, go to the eBay Resolution Center. You may be eligible for purchase protection."

So, I clicked on the eBay Resolution Center link, chose an option, selected the lens from my buying list, signed into ebay again, then a return request form that I previously done pops up, but now it just shows "a return request is already open for this item."

Maybe I did it all wrong.

Can I dispute a transaction in PP along side an ebay dispute for the same item?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It sounds like you should call the Paypal helpdesk ASAP. They will guide you through the process.

esrandall

esrandall

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSumner, WA

I've never done a claim straight through PayPal, always going through eBay first.  Maybe things are different now that they have been separated?  To a point, I just started an eBay claim myself.  Just went under "more actions"; request a return.  Ebay steps in after 5 days if the seller causes issues.  I've used it a few times.  Hope it works out for you.  

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

It sounds like you should call the Paypal helpdesk ASAP. They will guide you through the process.

Tried calling PP and after going through the hoops of automated options, I finally get an option to talk with an agent. Only problem was the wait time was 2 hours 54 minutes.  :(

I've never done a claim straight through PayPal, always going through eBay first.  Maybe things are different now that they have been separated?  To a point, I just started an eBay claim myself.  Just went under "more actions"; request a return.  Ebay steps in after 5 days if the seller causes issues.  I've used it a few times.  Hope it works out for you.  

This is my first time filing an eBay claim, so I wouldn't know if they have been separated. Hope your's works out for you too,

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Update - Just received a message from eBay after the seller asked them to step in to resolve our dispute. eBay has placed the case on hold for 5 days and have advised the seller to issue a label for the return shipment or send me funds to cover the return shipping costs. eBay didn't say anything about when I will get my refund though.