Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3300, 3400 Or 5200

d3300 d3400 d5200 newbie

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: D3300, D3400 Or D5200

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

D3300, D3400 Or D5200

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

dkay

dkay

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, guys i'm new here. and i'm a newbie for DSLR cameras. can you guys suggest me a good entry level dslr?  help me to select a dslr from these 3 models :)D3300, 3400 & 5200

Thank you

AlexP

AlexP

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Depends what features you cannot leave without, I think. If you want to watch your screen while the camera is facing you, then 5200 is your only option. 

3300 vs. 3400, ISO range might make the native 100-25,600 of the 3400 superior. If this is a concern for you, go for the 3400. Thought for a beginner (as myself), I would use the difference to buy something else for my first DSLR (as going stock might ruin your experience quite fast).

Ultimately this depends on your budget and how cheap you can grab a 3400 compared to a 3300 where you live. Here in the UK you may get a 3300 for about 350 pounds, but you may also find a awesome deal for a 3400 for about 360-370 (if you bother to go and pick it up from the store). Argos for example just reduced the price of a brand new 3400 with kit lens from 470 pounds to 370. In this case I would go for the last addition in the series. This is for new cameras, used ones vary greatly.

3400 is 15 grams lighter. Not a noticeable difference in weight I would say. 

Same battery on both, almost double the photos you can snap with the 3400, because it conserves battery life much better. This is a massive deal for anyone, especially beginners, which in theory have to take lots of photos when they start. So instead of 700 pictures on a charge with your d3300, you get 1200 with a 3400.

D3400 has SnapBridge. If connectivity is something you are interested in, 3400 is your choice. Alternatively you may want to get an external adaptor for things like these. Though for a DSLR user, having or not WIFI has rarely been a deal breaker. Most photographers would rather remove the card and edit their photos in a more capable computing machine (than your phone, which is the only really advantage of having wifi/bluetooth - fast edit and publish, even in remote locations) like a laptop. Not necessary for horse power, which does matter, but rather for the professional software that makes your photos look even better. 

If you can live without the features that make the D3400 much better than a D3300, and the price difference where you live is too high to justify the things you get, then get the D3300. If the price difference is small, 3400, no brainer.

As for the 5200, it's just a bit better than the 3400, in terms of options. Picture quality is the same. Except for the flippy screen, I see no redeeming quality for the 5200. Just keep in mind that the D5200 is 3 years older than the D3400. And the D3400 is the only one with a wireless connectivity, if again this is something you might want. Though granted, you tend to find the 5200 incredibly cheap nowadays. A new body will be under 300 pounds in the UK. Oh, focus points, more focus points on the 5200. If that's your thing.

Conclusion, depending on your budget I would chose either a 3300 or a 3400, while keeping in mind that as a beginner the 1200 photos you can waste with the 3400 is far superior than the 700 you can with your 3300. This is on OEM battery at full charge. Get a non-OEM one, with more capacity, and you should in theory not waste all the juice before you develop carpal tunnel.  :lol:

Alex.  :ph34r:

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Welcome DKay.  First questions I would ask...

What are your goals with the camera - what do you intend to use it to photograph?

What lens or lenses are you thinking of purchasing with the body or which do you already have?

What is your budget?

They are all good cameras and have different features.  How did you pick this group and what features are important to you?  I can tell you which I would purchase if I take a look at those things, but that doesn't mean my choice would be the right choice for YOU.  Give us more info on what you are looking for and why / what you want to shoot and we can certainly recommend the best options for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3300, d3400, d5200, newbie