Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon 300mm f2.8 coupled with the Nikon TC-20E III 2x teleconverter

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

I.R.Dartmoor

I.R.Dartmoor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDartmoor, Devon, England.

Morning every one.

I'm new to this, so if I'm in the wrong place for this topic, please feel free to correct me.

I photograph a lot of UK air shows throughout the summer, I use a D700 & 200 - 400mm f4 set up for most shots.

I have noticed over the years that the aircraft are displaying at an ever increasing distance from the crowd line, probably due to health & safety constraints introduced by the aviation authorities.

This has lead to the situation where I don't seem to have the reach I require to capture images of fast jets that seem to be getting smaller, and doing much of their fast display very high & far away, that its now really impossible at times to shoot at all, and if I do shoot, it means some really serious cropping to get anything recognisable, resulting in less desired image quality.

So, this has made me think about a new lens, a 300mm f2.8 + the new Nikon TC-20EIII.

This would effectively give me a 600mm for distance shots, and 300mm for the closer shots.

My main concern is auto focus speed with the TC-20III.

So my question is:-

Is there anyone out there in Nikonland that has any knowledge or is actually using this lens setup that can tell me how the auto focus speed performs???

The attached image is an example of what I used to get a four or five years ago.

333133_204501226315396_281676241_o.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help I receive!!

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I share your pain!

The display line at Fairford this year has moved even further back, at least the Rafale pilot made up for it by booming us :-)

If you've got the money, I think it's a good choice. Couple it with a fluid head tripod, one of the U shaped video heads, if you've still got any money left!

I don't bother with AF at Airshows, lost too many shots waiting for the system to catch up, so I do it all manual AF these days.

Another thing I do is spend one day in the show taking static shots, some air shots and enjoying the show. I then spend a day in one of the "naughty" fields for the close up stuff. For Fairford, Totterdown Hill is by far the best.

I.R.Dartmoor

I.R.Dartmoor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi morticlaskeeper.

I normally do both days in the show, but this year, due to getting fed up with the distance of the demo's from the crowd line now, did the Saturday in the show and Totterdown on Sunday, and you are right, Totterdown was excellent.

I also do the arrivals, Wed to Fri, the joys of being semi retired, too much time on my hands.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

That is an awesome photograph!

Yes, it will slow the auto focus and it will slow the shutterspeed as well. It's a lose-lose proposition, unfortunately, when it comes to high speed objects. 

Perhaps you can rent a quality 500 or 600mm lens and just use it for the event? There is this. 

Used Gear | Used Cameras, Used Camera Lenses, & Gear For Sale | BorrowLenses

That is what I would do; that or borrow one from some one I know who would be willing to lend it. 

500mm Nikon f.4 telephoto. This is probably a $8,000 lens.

http://www.borrowlen...kon_500mm_f4_VR

I.R.Dartmoor

I.R.Dartmoor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi alden

Nice Idea alden, had the intension of hiring the 600mm, met someone at The Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford who had one attached to his D3X, he let me try it out, it is huge and weighs a ton, the guy was built like Schwarzenegger and needed to be to get steady shots. Was just thinking that 300mm & 2x converter would give a more flexible and lighter setup, easier to handle for a week of very long days at Fairford. 

Natural Encounters

Natural Encounters

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDorset, Uk

I use the same lens, but I went for the 1.7 tele, which I guess makes it a 500mm lens or there abouts, it gives me f4.8 minimum on my D4, and as long as its a reasonably light day the autofocus has no problem keeping up with aircraft, here in Dorset we get a good few long flying Typhoons and the like, and not had any issues.

I.R.Dartmoor

I.R.Dartmoor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

I use the same lens, but I went for the 1.7 tele, which I guess makes it a 500mm lens or there abouts, it gives me f4.8 minimum on my D4, and as long as its a reasonably light day the autofocus has no problem keeping up with aircraft, here in Dorset we get a good few long flying Typhoons and the like, and not had any issues.

Hi and cheers Natural Encounters.

Thats an interesting setup. 

The two reasons why I am thinking about the new 2x tele & 300mm, is because, 1) I would like 600mm just for that little extra reach, and 2) because I'm led to believe by many internet reviews and by Nikon, that they are, well, dare I say it, made for each other, but as always there are pitfalls, one of which I was concerned about was Auto Focus speed, now you've got me thinking about the 1.7 tele, perhaps I will have to check both out, going to The Societies Photographic Convention in London in January, so perhaps I'll get some hands on at the show or there is Grays of Westminster just a short walk away.

cupic

cupic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNSW Australia

300mm f/2.8 with any TC is superb,just a word

Gym membership is a must to hold the beast unless you have a decent monopod handy

cheers

I.R.Dartmoor

I.R.Dartmoor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

300mm f/2.8 with any TC is superb,just a word

Gym membership is a must to hold the beast unless you have a decent monopod handy

cheers

Hi cupic.

Many thanks for that, I regularly use the Nikon 200-400mm and weighs only a little less than the 300 f2.8 + TC MK3, and yes, after a whole week of very long days at the Royal international Air Tattoo my shoulder aches, I do have a large Gitzo carbon fibre tripod and Wimberley head mk1, just find it a little restrictive movement wise, and I don't like monopods, looks like I'll have to put up with shoulder pain.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I'd stick with your 200-400 and go with a 1.4 or 1.7...you'll get to 560 with the 1.4 and 680 with the 1.7 and it will cost quite a bit less unless you already have the 300...

I have the 200-400 and the 1.4 but haven't had a chance to try them together yet...The 1.4 works great with my 70-200 though...even used it inside...it only adds one stop...

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
I have the 300f2,8 and a 200-400 f4. Both were used at RIAT this year along with a gitzo monopod and when necessary a TC2mk3. When being used with either my D800e or D4 there is no issue with autofocus at all. The 300 has the edge on portability being lighter than the behemoth 200-400, although the ability to zoom means the 200-400 inevitably is my favoured lens.

I.R.Dartmoor

I.R.Dartmoor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

I have the 300f2,8 and a 200-400 f4. Both were used at RIAT this year along with a gitzo monopod and when necessary a TC2mk3. When being used with either my D800e or D4 there is no issue with autofocus at all. The 300 has the edge on portability being lighter than the behemoth 200-400, although the ability to zoom means the 200-400 inevitably is my favoured lens

Hi cowleystjames. many thanks for that. 

Have you ever used the 2x converter III with the 200-400, if yes, how does that combo perform???

Cheers for now.

I'd stick with your 200-400 and go with a 1.4 or 1.7...you'll get to 560 with the 1.4 and 680 with the 1.7 and it will cost quite a bit less unless you already have the 300...

I have the 200-400 and the 1.4 but haven't had a chance to try them together yet...The 1.4 works great with my 70-200 though...even used it inside...it only adds one stop...

Hi Sportz2pix.

I may hire the converters to see which one best fits my requirements.

Many thanks for now.

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
Works great, no problem with autofocus although some nikons won't autofocus at f8. Both the D4 and D800e focus as fast with the TC2 III attached as without, doesn't seem to make any difference.
If you ever find yourself near oxford, come and give them a whirl.

I.R.Dartmoor

I.R.Dartmoor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

Many thanks for that cowleystjames, and along with everyones comments, its really helped my decision making a great deal.

Clearly Limited

Clearly Limited

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthwest Kansas

I would be thinking using the 200-400-mm f4 with a different body like a D800 or a DX D7100 would give you a crop factor on your lens and also give you a bigger file to  crop down if you needed. I have a set of TC including the new nikon 2x but I try to stay away from them if I can. 

I.R.Dartmoor

I.R.Dartmoor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

I would be thinking using the 200-400-mm f4 with a different body like a D800 or a DX D7100 would give you a crop factor on your lens and also give you a bigger file to  crop down if you needed. I have a set of TC including the new nikon 2x but I try to stay away from them if I can. 

I agree about 2x converters, I've always kept away from them, but heard some really great things about the latest incarnation when coupled with 300mm f2.8 and thats whats started this thread off.

But for my aviation work, because of the distance from the crowd line that they now display at, I need in the region 600mm, so the 300 f2.8 will give me that reach and because its attached to a prime, the results should, I hope, be fine, I'm not keen on cropping to get the right size subject to frame ratio although I do have a D800, but I normally use my D700 for aviation work at the moment, hoping to get a D4 next year some time to replace the D700, the D800 is what I use for landscape work, sounds a bit mad I suppose, but thats just how I work.

Clearly Limited

Clearly Limited

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthwest Kansas

I have used the tc 2x on my 400 2.8 and it has been a really nice combo. I still find myself liking the image from the 400mm with a d2x than from my d3 with 400 w/ TC.  I like to see more of your aircraft stuff.

I.R.Dartmoor

I.R.Dartmoor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

I have used the tc 2x on my 400 2.8 and it has been a really nice combo. I still find myself liking the image from the 400mm with a d2x than from my d3 with 400 w/ TC.  I like to see more of your aircraft stuff.

Hi.

Thank for that info.

The 400mm on the D2x would give you the effect of 600mm, Ideal if I used my D800 in crop mode, but the 400mm costs half as much again as the 300mm with 2x con., but sounds a nice combo though. 

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK

If you find yourself at RIAT next year and you haven't resolved your thoughts, I'll be there all the days as I've bought myself a Mach 3 package! Whoo Hoo open access for 6 days Wednesday through to Monday.

Come and try it out for yourself.

I.R.Dartmoor

I.R.Dartmoor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

If you find yourself at RIAT next year and you haven't resolved your thoughts, I'll be there all the days as I've bought myself a Mach 3 package! Whoo Hoo open access for 6 days Wednesday through to Monday.

Come and try it out for yourself.

Thank you for that very kind offer, and if still undecided, I will certainly take you up on that, will be at RIAT Wed-Sat and Totterdown Farm on the Sunday for a different perspective. Normally in the Park and view queue around 05.00, not sure how this RedPit day will work out yet, but should be interesting.

Noticed your ex army, I only did 74 - 80, Bcoy - 3rd Queens, thats when I started my photographic training, and was the battalion Photographer. I was talking to another Ex Scots Guardsman at Hounslow RBL Remembrance day parade, he must have served at the same time as you and did 18 years if I remember rightly, had a great lough, specially about Belize.

Have you seen the details about the new Photo trade show that replaces Focus On Imaging at the NEC Birmingham, just about to book my ticket, should be interesting.

Cheers for Now