Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

syncing old and new speedlights to D7000

nikon d7000 sb900 sb22 on camera flash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

n31lt8

n31lt8

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

radio slaves / transceivers are not in the budget right now, so i am trying to make due with what i have.

Can someone help me with camera and speedlight settings?

Camera: Nikon D7000 http://imaging.nikon.../d7000/spec.htm

new speedlight: SB900  http://imaging.nikon...dlights/sb-900/

old speedlight: SB22  Nikon Autofocus Flash Model: SB-22 Speedlight

plus on camera flash + fong diffuser

what would be the most practical way to get 3 points of light from the available gear? using the IR triggers would be ideal, but if I need to get a sync cable, so be it.

I plan to use the setup mostly for portraits.

I got as far as having all 3 fire at once, but could not get all 3 to sync with the camera.

the hardest part is figuring which ones to set at master and which ones to use as slave.

TIA

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Your problems are that the D7000 doesn't have a PC-contact for a sync cable and that the SB-22 will trigger on the preflash if you use TTL metering for the other flashes. You can try using SU-4 mode on SB-22 and SB-900 with the built-in flash in manual mode. You will then have to use Auto mode on the SB-22 as it isn't possible to reduce power manually on that one.

On the other hand, you could probably sell off the SB-22 and SB-900 and get a Yongnuo system that works reliably without adding much money, if any.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Peter is right. Unless your SB-22 has an adjustable manual mode, it will be difficult to sync all three flashes. They're working against one another.

I don't know much about the Yongnuo system but many people say that they're fantastic. And, assuming that your budget allows, they would probably be a good alternative.

On the other hand, you can make some very nice portraits using just the SB-900 off camera and a reflector for fill. In that setup you would not use the onboard flash at all but rather use a sync cable (or radio triggers) to connect the D7000 to your SB-900. I would suggest shooting through either a large white umbrella or, preferably a large softbox. The larger, the better. In this setup you could either use Auto Mode or, my preference, full manual. Your lightbox and flash would be positioned fairly close to your subject and you would use the manual controls on your SB-900 to dial the flash up or down as needed. The reflector positioned on the opposite side would provide a bit of fill in illumination.

--Ron

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I use the D7000 with a pair of Yongnuo 565 as slaves. The onboard flash is set to trigger with minimal output, while the flashes are set to different channels, so that I can adjust each output remotely.

If I need a third light, rather than just a reflector, I have a few old flashes mounted on slaves. The only problem with that is if a hair light can be seen by one of the main flashes, as they cancel each other out. That's easily fixed by switching to manual rather than TTL.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d7000, sb900, sb22, on camera flash