Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help - shutter release needed for Nikon D3400

d3400 shutter release cable release remote shutter release

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Bruyere

Bruyere

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I recently bought a Nikon D3400 and am disappointed to learn there are no wired shutter release cables available for this camera as it only has HDMI ports.

The Nikon infrared wireless remote does not have ability to slide into lock position, meaning I would have to hold the shutter down manually which doesn't work well for me.

I'm going to Iceland to photograph the northern lights, where it will be cold and batteries will drain quickly. This means a smartphone app will not work for me as my phone's battery won't last.

Does anyone know a 3rd party solution for this? I've tried Amazon, and Google, nothing. Ideally, I'd love a wired solution, but if I'm going wireless remote, I need something with ability to slide into lock to keep the shutter open up to 30 seconds.

Anyone have any ideas?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Can't you select a 30 second exposure in M mode?  B mode isn't needed unless you want to go longer than that, AFAIK.

Regardless, if you're OK with the functionality of the smartphone app, you could get a USB power bank which should be able to keep your phone alive for 2-3x longer than normal:

https://www.amazon.c...uct/B014SNLENG/

There are also some third-party remotes that you can lock to send a continuous signal, but I'm not familiar with the specific models.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3400, shutter release, cable release, remote shutter release