Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

since still new lens and i have tamron 70-300 what lens filter to get

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i know i need lens filter to protect the front end of lens. not sure what to get since i see all sort types out their. so my main question is should i just get hd uv filter or go for package set of filter to use on it. not sure on what to do. i ask you guys for the help. 

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Just a UV filter the size you need for the thread on that lens. But get a decent one. Off the top of my head the well known filter companies are Hoya, B+W, Kenko, Tiffen... And there are probably more. You don't want to put a $5 piece of plastic crap in front of your lens.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Getting a B+W gives another advantage, besides the optical one. The metal ring is brass instead of the aluminium most other manufacturers use. Brass doesn't gall in aluminium threads like aluminium does so the filter will be easier to remove, with less risk of it getting stuck on the lens. 

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

thanks for the tip on brands and getting the B+W. was not sure be best to just get 62mm filter uv filter or get one that come as combo where you get other lens with colors on them. since might be cheaper route that way. since new to this want to get best option i can have. you guys are great help and keep up good work.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The filters that are still useful in the digital age are:

• Some sort of protective filter, either UV or just a protective filter.
  • Polarizer.
  • ND filter.
  • Graduated ND filter.

The corrective filters in blue or orange shades were necessary to match the white balance of the film to the WB of the light. In a digital camera, this is done with the WB settings in-camera. The filters for black-and-white photography aren't needed as you can emulate them so easily in your postprocessing.

Make sure that you get a multicoated filter as they are better optically.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I am thinking of getting one for my Nikon 80 - 400 mm lens. My reason is sandy beaches and wind. But I have not had good luck with the ones I bought for my 18-55 and 55-300 lens. My pictures for the most part are blurry when using them. I even did some comparisons using a tripod and focusing on the same object and there was a difference.

I have read many pros and cons to using the filters but I am thinking this expensive of a lens it might be cheap insurance if I got a good one.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
If light is facing the lens, most filters will flare and reduce contrast due to internal reflections (even with a hood). But I have not experienced one that induces blur.

Make sure it is clean as most of the hoya filters I have had some kind of schmutz on them right out of the box.

As far as protection, unless you are in a sandstorm, just use the hood to protect/cushion/prevent you bumping the front element into something.

As always...YMMV.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

If light is facing the lens, most filters will flare and reduce contrast due to internal reflections (even with a hood). But I have not experienced one that induces blur.
Make sure it is clean as most of the hoya filters I have had some kind of schmutz on them right out of the box.
As far as protection, unless you are in a sandstorm, just use the hood to protect/cushion/prevent you bumping the front element into something.
As always...YMMV.

I do use the hood the majority of the time. It will prevent accidental hits etc. But being on a large lake with some of the winds I worry. But maybe I just don't take it out there

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I used to like Hoya filters but the last few I bought haven't lived up to their former reputation.

Recently, I've started using Nikon NC filters when I want to protect the front element. They're relatively inexpensive but seem to be well made. And, I haven't noticed any problems with them even when shooting into the light although I'm sure they're reducing contrast a bit in such conditions. I haven't experienced any blur with them at all.

--Ron

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I do use protective filters on my primes, Hoya HD Protectors seem good. Yes, it's another couple of glass/air suffices and some kind of degradation is theoretically inevitable but I don't notice it. I use them because I walk on the beach several times a week and often it's windy.

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

There is always lots of discussion on whether the protection afforded by the filter is worth the degradation of the image.  I figure if you are going to put a filter on, make sure it is the best you can afford to minimize the degradation.  I've been very happy with B&W filters.  Great glass, coatings, and brass rings.  I have them on all my lenses.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

B&W is best one i have. but only one have and can only fit it on my 18-55 and one other lens i have. not sure if 35 or 55mm since have to use ring to be able to use on my 18-55mm need insert to use it. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

If you're going to use clear filters for protection then you should bite the bullet and buy one for each lens in your arsenal.

--Ron