Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

High Dynamic Range D7200

hdr

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I saw some pictures where it was stated they used HDR.   Not sure if I am a fan of the pictures but thought I would give it a try on my D7200.   Reading the manual it states where to find it in the menu section and the options with it.   IE one photo or series or multiple shots.

However when I go to turn it on I  notice it is greyed out unless I am in the U2 mode.   Not much in the manual I can find but a few Youtube videos states it works in  in the M, A, S and P modes.   Not for me!

Is there another setting I need to have turned on or off?

nova85

nova85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Lenox, Illinois

Site Supporter

The file type must be jpeg not raw.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I find the in-camera HDR to be a bit of a gimmick. You will get better results by shooting a bracketed series and do the HDR and tonemapping in post. This makes it easier to get the look *you* want, rather than that stereotypical 3d-rendered videogame HDR look. I use Photomatix Pro, but PS CC works well for both the HDR and tonemapping stages.

I think it was last year sometime we did an editing exercise on a set of handheld bracketed shots. There are quite a few tips on how to process HDR in post in that thread.

• Ron likes this

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

The file type must be jpeg not raw.

I am shooting both? Must I be in .jpeg only?

I find the in-camera HDR to be a bit of a gimmick. You will get better results by shooting a bracketed series and do the HDR and tonemapping in post. This makes it easier to get the look *you* want, rather than that stereotypical 3d-rendered videogame HDR look. I use Photomatix Pro, but PS CC works well for both the HDR and tonemapping stages.

I think it was last year sometime we did an editing exercise on a set of handheld bracketed shots. There are quite a few tips on how to process HDR in post in that thread.

Thank you. I read about bracketing someplace. I will do a search here

Again thank you

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

You can also do a bit of tone matching using a single image in Lightroom or Photoshop CC (using Adobe Camera Raw). The results can be quite convincing, and just as garish if overdone.

--Ron

nova85

nova85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Lenox, Illinois

Site Supporter

I never tried both. I'm guessing it must only be in jpeg.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I never tried both. I'm guessing it must only be in jpeg.

Thank you.   I will give that a try 

You can also do a bit of tone matching using a single image in Lightroom or Photoshop CC (using Adobe Camera Raw). The results can be quite convincing, and just as garish if overdone.

--Ron

I need to spend money on Light Room   

• Ron likes this

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I found the editing exercise.

Editing exercise, week ending October 18 2015 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

Photomatix can do a pseudo-HDR from one file with good results from a .NEF converted to 16-bit .TIF if the camera is too new, with older bodies, it handles .NEF just fine.

HDR Efex Pro is free and part of the Google Nik collection that can be found here.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I found the editing exercise.

Editing exercise, week ending October 18 2015 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

Photomatix can do a pseudo-HDR from one file with good results from a .NEF converted to 16-bit .TIF if the camera is too new, with older bodies, it handles .NEF just fine.

HDR Efex Pro is free and part of the Google Nik collection that can be found here.

Thank you for both  links.    Looks like I got some reading and editing playing to do.    

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hdr