Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens Auto Focus Compatibility

tamron a005nii

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

JFitness

JFitness

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi All,

I'm new to SLR photography and to these forums so I apologies for any silly questions.

I've recently bought my first SLR camera - a Nikon D5300 - and i'm looking to buy a lens that has good zoom. I'll be using it mainly for motorsports.

I've come across the "Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Lens for Nikon (A005NII)" which looks ideal and has positive reviews.

My question is: will the autofocus work with my D5300? I read somewhere that the lenses need to be marked AF-S because my camera doesn't have the integrated auto focus. Bit confused because a friend of mine has the older Tamron 70-300 lens (A17NII) and the auto focus works fine on my D5300 - and that's not marked AF-S.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I don't have the lens you're interested in but after reading a bit about it on Tamron's website I believe it will work with your camera.

The only time you need to be sure to purchase a lens marked AF-S is when you're buying a Nikon lens. AF-S is their nomenclature for Nikon lenses with built in focus motors. And, since your D5300 doesn't have it's own focus mechanism built in, you must use lenses with their own motors.

There are others here who have extensive experience with aftermarket lenses (including Tamron). Perhaps one of them will jump in and expand on this a bit.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Tamron call their version of AF-S USD for UltraSonic Drive. They made an earlier in-lens AF motor system that worked more like the old AF-i, called PZD for Piezo Drive.These work on the older bodies without an AF motor without problems but I am not sure if they need to be re-chipped with a newer firmware to work with the latest bodies.

Oric Man

Oric Man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

I just got this lens for my D5500. Didn't work at first. Battery was low so recharged and wiggled the switches and it seems to be working fine now. Whether it was the battery or I'd not pressed the switch fully to AF, I'm not sure but the lens works with my D5500 so should I think be fine with the D5300.

JFitness

JFitness

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
Apologies for the delay

I ordered the above Tamron lens and it works perfectly with my D5300. Used it for a race weekend at Brands Hatch and I'm very impressed with it.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Would you care to show some of your photos from the race weekend?

JFitness

JFitness

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

sure... I believe they were all shot with the Tamron.

I used the Shutter Priority mode. Its my first DSLR camera and my first attempt at motorsport so go easy on me :) I got a few pointers from an article in N-Photo magazine.

Constructive feedback obviously welcome! These are unedited.

https://drive.google...U1U?usp=sharing

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

nice pictures from that lens

JFitness

JFitness

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Yea, Im really impressed with it. It was this one the Nikon but I couldnt really justify the extra spend given Im only just starting out. I dont plan to go professional so its just a hobby.