Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Affinity photo for Win available!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Gasman

Gasman

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi guys
Been waiting for this release and they go and release it while I'm on hols with no laptop 😗. It's free while in beta so enjoy!.
https://affinity.ser...-available-now/
Steve

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the Heads-up: Loaded onto Win7.

They implemented Linear DNG correctly, including 16-bit pixels. My Leica M Monochrom uses Linear mode for 14 significant bits stored as 16-bits. I wrote some code that applies a gamma curve and remaps it to full 16 significant bits/pixel. Several software packages "choke" when it comes to implementing the DNG standard without camera-specific shortcuts.  This company got it right.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Country Flag

Linear-DNG file, 16-Bit monochrome. Processed using my custom Fortran program to convert the 14-bit pixels to 16-bits using a gamma curve. Basically, bring out the shadows, reset the black-level, overall increase contrast. The values in each pixel are modified and the DNG header is modified for black-level and bits/pixel. Photoshop has a hard time with the true 16-bit pixels.

25309202619_2d534b687b_o.jpgG1008962 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

One from the Nikon Df-

30828334132_f3774dabff_o.jpgDSC_9369 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Uncompressed-NEF. This is not as easy and straight forward of a RAW file to read as one might think. .NEF is essentially TIFF format, but the number of strips and SUB-IFD within each file take some good parsing.

I'll be using this software, watching to see when it's released. It handles the M Monochrom- several other Non-Adobe packages cannot.

To add- opening 20 images at once locked up the machine, this is an operation that Lightroom can do easily. Working with a few images at a time is best- this software uses a lot of memory, more than most. This is probably the Beta nature, or just "modern programming practices".

Gasman

Gasman

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks for the info Brian I did wonder how it would cope with Nikon raw files!. I have been waiting for this release to come out so I can compare it with the release of 0n1 photo Raw due this month before deciding which of them to use.
Steve

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I drove by the memorial on Thursday afternoon!  Very nice shot of it especially with it being Veteran's Day weekend here...