Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D90 Viewfinder black & LCD not working after Rain

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Steffen_M

Steffen_M

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello,

I'm traveling with my D90 atm and it got a bit wet yesterday in the rain. Can't have been much as it was under my raincoat but there were tiny drops of water on the body/lens that must have gone into the device. It was in no way proper 'rained on' though.

When I wanted to take a picture it suddenly gave me an ' - E - ' error message on the control panel and when looking through the viewfinder all I was black. Liveview and the LCD screen in general also remained black and so I couldn't even access the menu.

I've since dried the body, battery and SD card. The ' - E - ' message indicates the card can't be read and fortunately this has disappeared now as the card can be read again. So it's neither the card nor the battery. It's also not a lens problem I think as I've put on another lens and I'm still getting the same symptoms: camera comes on but viewfinder black and LCD not coming on.

I can hear the shutter/(mirror?) going into position upon turning the camera on and think it must block the light coming through - hence viewfinder stays black. When the camera is NOT on, I can look through the viewfinder.

As for the LCD I don't know if that's related or a separate issue. Maybe the camera won't allow the LCD to come on as a safety measure since there's some other internal problem. Is this possible? The control works fine though, even though the surrounding buttons also don't perform upon being used.

I'm in a small Vietnam town and the language barrier makes it impossible explaining to a repair shop what's wrong. They wouldn't know what to do with my camera anyway. Any help is hence MUCH appreciated! Thank you

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

About the only things I can suggest at this point... and I see that your message was posted two weeks ago so you've probably already done something... anyway, You might try changing the battery with a different one that you know for sure wasn't subjected to moisture and is freshly charged. Or you could try doing a two button reset. Since the LCD isn't working you can't really go into the menus to reset the camera that way. Other than that, it looks like a trip to shop is in order.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

--Ron