Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tamaron 60mm f2 vs Nikon 60mm f2.8

lens tamron nikon macro portrait

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

arashbateni

arashbateni

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Dear Nikon users,

I am struggling to decide between Tamaron 60mm f2 and Nikon 60mm f2.8 lenses.

I need to use this lens for both macro and portrait photography on a cropped DX Nikon 5500 camera. Obviously Tamron offers narrower depth of field for portraits, but unfortunately it has very slow auto-focus motor.

Has anyone considered these lenses before? Any input is appreciated.

Arash

ThomasTedsmall

ThomasTedsmall

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Have never used tamaron lenses. Considering getting the 18-200mm tamaron. Is this cheaper lens a good substitute?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I have no experience with the Tamron lens but I do use the Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D frequently. It's a very nice, if old design. I'm not sure about newer versions of this lens but with my lens, I use manual focus exclusively. And, I'm pretty sure that this is probably the case with most macro photographers, no matter which lens they use. Because the plane of focus is so narrow manual focus is almost a necessity. So, for my needs, focus speed is a non-consideration.

Also, this is still a great deal! https://www.bhphotov...portrait_2.html

1446129402000_1192712.jpg

--Ron

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Country Flag

Macro lenses are known for being clinically sharp, and the Micro-Nikkor 60/2.8D is in this category. Classic portrait lenses tend to be a bit softer, more forgiving.

It comes down to what qualities you want in a portrait lens. A 50mm lens is a good focal length for portraits, there are many inexpensive ones to choose from. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lens, tamron, nikon, macro, portrait