Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5500 and rain...

weather rain waterproof

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

CAT4R4TTA

CAT4R4TTA

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello all, I'm sorry if this topic has already been discussed before, but I haven't been able to find any answer so I thought it was worth trying...

Recently I bought a D5500 (which I love) and today I used it for a good 20 minutes under quite heavy rain (...spoiler alert, in Costa Rica it bloody rains...). The lens in that moment was a Nikkor 55-300 latest model.

I know, as it is written, that the D5500 is not weather sealed, but my question is if anyone has ever used it under heavy rain and if he has noticed any problems afterwards.

I dried it as I could after use and put it back into its bag. I used it again after half an hour and everything was steamy, with lots of moist, but after 3-4 minutes in the wind it went back to be perfect and it worked with no problems.

Now my feeling, for what it counts, is that all these DSLRs are built exactly in the same way, but of course for marketing reasons they say the cheaper ones are not weather sealed to boost the more expensive for professional use.

Cristal clear I wouldn't submerge mine, but does some rain really risk to blow it up?

Have I just been lucky today or using it regularly under the rain is doable?

Any advice?

Thanks for your help!

Sandro

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Your theory that all DSLRs are built the same is false. There are indeed specific seals in place on more expensive models like the 7200 that do not exist on 3000 and 5000 series.

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
DSLRs are NOT built the same way. One of the reasons pro range camera - and lens - cost more (I repeat, one of the reasons) is the build is more suited for harsher weather conditions. I would be very leery taking a mid range camera is rain, much less heavy rain. If you got away with it this one time I wouldn't press your luck and try again. I'd also break that camera down and let as much drying as I'm able before using it again. Just my 2 cents. :)

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have seen quite a few D3xxx and D5xxx bodies that have stopped working in weather that the D300, D700 and later cousins as well as the pro bodies work through without a problem. You were lucky this time, but I think you should get a rainsleeve if you plan on shooting in the rain often. Some desiccant packs in the bag is a good idea as well, so the camera and lens gets a chance to dry.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree with the comments...I think you got lucky...Take a look at the OpTech Rain Sleeves - they are cheap and made to be disposable even though you can use them a few times if you treat them kindly...they could save you a good amount of repair money!  Of course, if you intend to shoot often in the rain, there are some excellent high quality rain sleeves out there depending on the body and lens you are using...

CAT4R4TTA

CAT4R4TTA

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you!!

I am not really planning to shoot in the rain as a routine, but definitely worth having these sleeves!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yup!  They are cheap and easy to fit in your camera bag or a pocket just in case you need it!

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I agree with the comments...I think you got lucky...Take a look at the OpTech Rain Sleeves - they are cheap and made to be disposable even though you can use them a few times if you treat them kindly...they could save you a good amount of repair money!  Of course, if you intend to shoot often in the rain, there are some excellent high quality rain sleeves out there depending on the body and lens you are using...

On Tbonz's advice a couple of years ago, I bought a couple of the OpTech Rain sleeves, and I am glad that I did!  I keep them in my bag, and I have used them a couple of times now.  Excellent product.  

Oric Man

Oric Man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

So Nikon do weather sealed lenses? I've not noticed them whereas Pentax do WR lenses to match their WR bodies.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

So Nikon do weather sealed lenses? I've not noticed them whereas Pentax do WR lenses to match their WR bodies.

Yeah most of their lenses are from what I've seen, other than kit lenses. But then again I am only ever looking at the higher end of their equipment and not even sure what's available on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Just look on the mount and there is a rubber seal.

Pretty sure all the newer Tamron lenses are all weather sealed too. Sigma seems to be the only one not weather sealing their lenses. 

Only the D3x00 and D5x00 lack weather sealing. Every other one of Nikon's DSLRs have it (not sure on Df?)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Personally, I don't care if they are weather sealed or not, I'm happy to spend less than $20 to weather seal it myself if I feel it is needed...and, I have shot in some pretty heavy rain...

CoastalNCState-1889.jpg

For the record, in this case I was shooting with an AquaTech "rain coat" and my 200-400...the OpTech's don't come big enough for that lens...or, at least I have yet to find any...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weather, rain, waterproof