Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Resizing for instagram

instagram resizing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

RBTH

RBTH

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi there, how do I resize my vertical photo to fit Instagram without cropping anything?

I tried changing image size to 1080px in Height using Photoshop, then sending it to my phone. However, the photo size doesn't seem to have changed and its still too tall to fit. What am I doing wrong here?

I do know there are apps which resizes for me but the apps also give that white layers on the sides, which I do not want.

I appreciate any advise or tips.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Instagram is limited to 4:5 aspect ratio for verticals, even after they relaxed their fixation on the square. All photos are still cropped to square in the preview, which is silly but necessary as they want no dead space between photo cells and cram as much as possible into the space available on a phone screen.

BennyFr

BennyFr

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Have you tried Canva? This tool has special templates for different social media posts. Not sure however if it won't cut your image too.

mariah

mariah

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBangladesh,Dhaka

Hi there, how do I resize my vertical photo to fit Instagram without cropping anything?

I tried changing image size to 1080px in Height using Photoshop, then sending it to my phone. However, the photo size doesn't seem to have changed and its still too tall to fit. What am I doing wrong here?

I do know there are apps which resizes for me but the apps also give that white layers on the sides, which I do not want.

I appreciate any advise or tips.

I know exactly what you are going through. Instagram is a tricky game when it comes to uploading your favorite photo. They will at first wont fit then they will lose their quality if we try to make them fit. I never got to able to do it perfectly.

Have you tried Canva? This tool has special templates for different social media posts. Not sure however if it won't cut your image too.

Canva is nice, but it tends to lower the quality of the image and we do not want that. It is because we only upload photos on Instagram and if the resolution of the photos are not good then why do we even bother to upload them?

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Ps offers you all the flexibilities in the world
upon publishing, you could find tutorials. 

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

As Peter says, crop the image 5x4 to post it fully on Instagram. I had to rethink how I took portrait format images to alolow this crop. Check my Instagram account (@rcumming) to see examples - look at very old posts and you will see images that were not 5x4 format!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: instagram, resizing