Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SB-5000 Speedlight battery issue

sb-5000 speedlight

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Wreckdiver

Wreckdiver

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationChippenham
I recently purchased an SB-5000 Speedlight and have noticed that when switched off but with the battery left in it will discharge over around 12 hours. Has anyone who has got this Speedlight noticed this? I contacted Nikon who thought it might not be right but couldn't give me a definitive reply. Before I return it I would like to try and ascertain if this is a problem or not. I always remove any battery when not in use but if the unit is faulty then I'll get it replaced.

Thanks, Steve

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
I don't have that particular speed light but my SB700 can go months between uses and batteries are fine. I'm using Eneloops which are supposed to be very good at retaining charge whether that makes a difference I'm not sure.

roger_rob13

roger_rob13

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
I have 2 SB800'S. Last time I used one was back in August, on vacation. Put one on the camera last night for a party and it still had 75% of charge left. Hope this helps. Sounds like yours has a fault somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

I bought an  SB-5000 about a month ago and it has been sitting with batteries installed.  I just checked it and they are still charged.  Sounds like yours has issues.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Same for both my SB600 and SB910...I go months without using and batteries in the units.  Still plenty of charge left when I check them...

Wreckdiver

Wreckdiver

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationChippenham

My SB-5000 turned out to be faulty. I measured 350mA being drawn whilst it was switched off! Also, it was missing its Bounce card - how that happened I've no idea.

Anyway, I now have a replacement which is perfect.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Steve

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sb-5000, speedlight