Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3200 back button focus and VR

d3200 back button focus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Old Hi Fi Nut

Old Hi Fi Nut

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
On my D3200 so far, I have only got a 35mm f/1.8 lens and I just assigned the AE-L / AF-L button to be the back focus button. For Christmas, my wife got me a 55-200mm VR lens (earlier with the Christmas shopping than usual :). ) and I read that some cameras only allow the shutter button to activate the VR function. My question is; will my D3200 allow the back focus button to activate the VR?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

VR activation always stays assigned to shutter half-press, as does the wake from sleep for the light meter. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion concerning this. Some users insist that the rear button(s) will control VR and, I could have sworn that was the case with the VR lenses I own and both the D610 and the D7000. However, I need to go back and confirm this which I'm not able to do at the moment. I will say that a half press of the shutter does seem to activate VR in any case. Even if the back button also activates VR. 

--Ron

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
D3300 activates VR on BB focus.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Differs from camera to camera. Older cameras back button did not activate VR, newer ones do. Can't tell you the model numbers though.

Old Hi Fi Nut

Old Hi Fi Nut

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks for the replies, guys. I have since got a reply from a guy on You Tube (Steve Perry) as well. His video was explaining how to assign buttons for back button focusing and he said activation of VR still works with the shutter button half press without affecting the back button focus.

D3300 activates VR on BB focus.

With a bit of luck, it will be the same with my D3200 but I'll not know until I can open me prezzies on Christmas Day. :(

Old Hi Fi Nut

Old Hi Fi Nut

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
I got a Tamron 70-30mm VC lens quite recently and the Vibration Compensation does indeed activate at the half press of the shutter button. It really grabs the scene and holds it steady and when I relax, I have been able to get great pics of the birds outside my back door. I must say, I am very pleased with this lens and anyone with hand tremors like me who wants consistently sharper pictures, get a lens with VR or VC.

IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1474.JPG

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I got a Tamron 70-30mm VC lens quite recently and the Vibration Compensation does indeed activate at the half press of the shutter button. It really grabs the scene and holds it steady and when I relax, I have been able to get great pics of the birds outside my back door. I must say, I am very pleased with this lens and anyone with hand tremors like me who wants consistently sharper pictures, get a lens with VR or VC.

attachicon.gifIMG_1473.JPG
attachicon.gifIMG_1474.JPG

Well sir, I can see that you are a Brit, since the Union Jack is a dead giveaway.  Therefore I know that you have one heck of a sense of humor, so I must ask where on earth did you find that photo above your head?  I have come up with some hilarious captions, however I do not believe they would pass inspection here.  I will say this much, it appears as though his face caught on fire and someone tried to put it out with an icepick. :)))  Thanks for a very much needed laugh.

Cheers Mate,

Tony

Old Hi Fi Nut

Old Hi Fi Nut

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

Well sir, I can see that you are a Brit, since the Union Jack is a dead giveaway.  Therefore I know that you have one heck of a sense of humor, so I must ask where on earth did you find that photo above your head?  I have come up with some hilarious captions, however I do not believe they would pass inspection here.  I will say this much, it appears as though his face caught on fire and someone tried to put it out with an icepick. :)))  Thanks for a very much needed laugh.

Cheers Mate,

Tony

Glad you like my avatar. I saw the photo a good while ago on you tube and I looked for it on google images. Because I have ears that I thought stuck out like taxi doors, I used his picture on purpose. I wouldn't like to take a look in his fridge! I imagine myself seeing a jar and thinking "aargh! Those are not pickled onions!!!" I was thinking of submitting the photo as a joke when I provide a pic for my bus pass.